Oil & Fuel Can't Believe This Happened

/ Can't Believe This Happened #31  
This may be a stupid question, but, wouldn't a low oil light or some other warning light have come on once the oil level dropped such that the machine could be shut off before real damage occurs? Don't tractors have that built into the dash?

MoKelly

Low oil level is not standard equipment on most engines, especially tractors where you can operate at more severe angles than say, an on-road vehicle. I have seen low oil level shut-off's on stationary gen-sets and compressors, but this is long run unattended equipment. Low oil pressure shut down is normally not on mobile equipment, it is a safety thing. Better to ruin an engine than have it shut off on you in a dangerous situation. If op's plug fell out, he probably lost his oil in a matter of seconds, same with oil pressure. No time to notice light or react. Philip.

/ Can't Believe This Happened #32  
Has he tried to restart the tractor after it cooled down? Seems like it should start?

/ Can't Believe This Happened #33  
We all have bad things happen from time to time. In reality its best to check every nut and bolt with a calibrated torque wrench and every fluid level on every vehicle or piece of machinery you own. Its impossible and you would never get everything done. In this case you were screwed by the dealer or person you purchased it from and most likely you will pay the price. For those on this thread who are giving poor advice like you should have done this or that or used a torque wrench my question to all of you is-are you for real?

I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I'd be more likely to think vandalism first.

He also has a warranty and insurance!

/ Can't Believe This Happened #34  
i tend to check all fluids beginning of each day i will be using the tractor/machine. and if i know there is a leaky piece of equipment i will check 1/2 way through day. along with give a quick look over everything in the beginning of the day.

as far as the oil nut. it has not been the oil nut. but various bolts on equipment coming loose to busting to breaking. main reason i keep some wire and pair of pliers on tractor. so i can tie stuff up and limp back to the garage for a good repair.

have lost gas caps a few times over the years. have had oil dip stick for engine bounce loose. nuts on tires come loose. even when things were torqued. i run the machines so hard at times. and beat them to death not to mention vibrations and jacking and hee hawing. the tractors go through running over timbers and ruts and everything else. i am kinda amazed it is not seen more often of something happening.

drain plug / bolt though, would be one of them major "ouchers" ya just "cringe" thinking about it.

not even sure i would even be looking for an "oil" leak behind me. if i was bush hogging. i normally try and keep one eye forward one eye behind me. but an oil leak... not even sure if it would click.

when ya pull drain plug as it is, it does not take but a couple minutes to get all the oil to drain out as it is more so when engine and oil are warmed up to operating temperatures. not sure if a temperature gauge for radiator would even show anything and if it did i doubt i would even catch it myself if temp raised. i normally check my gauges every few minutes, but good amount of time between checking the gauges. once i had the machine up and running for 30 minutes to 1 hour pending on temperatures and what i am doing.

======================
if it is insured give them a call.

======================
hopefully you can get things into neutral so you can at least tow it / get it up on a trailer. to start tearing things apart, to diagnose what has happened. or take to a repair shop.

======================
you say engine will not turn over. but will the starter turn? and sort of clicking sounds? ya i would assume engine locked but.... start at the beginning, maybe someone did vandalize tractor and did more to tractor than just oil plug, or something got burned up, (wire for example) due to un wanted high temperatures.

hope for the best, vs new engine / rebuilding of engine.

/ Can't Believe This Happened #36  
Quote Originally Posted by 257NH View Post:
Never seen anyone put a torque wrench on a drain plug in my lifetime.
Brian

I have to use a torque wrench on my '92 Civic. It uses an aluminum crush washer on a tiny drain bolt in a steel oil pan, and my gut tells me "no way" when I try to tighten the bolt to spec. Any less torque and it leaks; the torque wrench is needed to overcome my reluctance to go "farmer tight."

/ Can't Believe This Happened #37  
257NH said:
Never seen anyone put a torque wrench on a drain plug in my lifetime.
Brian

I always use a torque wrench because I'm paranoid about having the plugs tight enough but don't want to over tighten and strip them out.

/ Can't Believe This Happened
Called the Sheriff and reported a vandalism to my tractor. The plug had marks on it like someone had used a crescent wrench or pliers. I also notified KTAC insurance and submitted a claim. The dealer came out with a trailer and winch and we got it loaded up and to his shop.
I'll keep you informed. Thanks for all the comments. Hopefully we can all use this as a learning experience.

Attachments

• image-3801452539.jpg
    image-3801452539.jpg
    441.5 KB · Views: 309
   / Can't Believe This Happened #40  
Lesson learned. Always check your fluids before starting out for the day.

Standard practice for any competent equipment operator.

Hope you can get out of it without costing you too much.

Wow, this guy could have major trouble with his, new to him, tractor and he gets a lecture like that. He has more control than I. I would have told you to go **** yourself.