Capability of John Deere 35G excavator?

/ Capability of John Deere 35G excavator? #1  

rangerfredbob

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L260
As the title says, thinking of renting one for a stupid project I'm working on... digging post holes for my pole barn shop project I center punched a gift from a previous owner, several yards of lumber scraps... I think I'm about 15 wheel barrow's full of lumber into the clearing of this hole and one of scrap metal and I think I'm only about 2/3 done...

Anywho, I got down to 5' deep and am giving up digging by hand, I need to get to native soil, waiting on input from the inspector on how I can most economically get this hole to specs...

That gets me to the questions, from the rental yards description the 35G can dig to about 10' deep, I'm hoping this hole only goes to about 7' which looks close by the shape of the native soil on the perimeter so should be good to go there. The main question is on this Ex's ability of digging stumps, I have 4 douglas fir stumps within about a 10' circle that need to go, from experience I think the root balls will be about 18" deep and the main roots will be done by about 5' from the stumps. The biggest tree was around 12" at the base so not huge. So I guess the main question is will I be able to get that hole finished and dig the stumps with only a single day rental? Attached picture with me for scale of the offending hole... Oh, and I have no experience with an escevator but do have experience with a few tractors and forklifts at work, as well as rc airplanes and stuff so I understand stick control.

Attachments

• 20200607_190241.jpg
    20200607_190241.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 187
   / Capability of John Deere 35G excavator? #2  
I have a 26g, the next size down. Depth won’t be a problem, especially if it has the optional extended stick.

I wouldn’t even attempt a stump that large, though. You need to go up a couple of sizes that, maybe to a 120.

/ Capability of John Deere 35G excavator? #3  
Oh .. Heck no to a shovel... :D Get the excavator. If it has a thumb, even better to load debris into a truck. Remember to dig in front of the blade. Use the blade as a stabilizer. Digging the stumps is a lot easier if you use a Sawzall to cut roots too big to pull with the bucket. :2cents:

/ Capability of John Deere 35G excavator? #4  
Digging just a few 12” stumps won’t be a problem with that size machine. It’s not optimal but it’ll do a few.

/ Capability of John Deere 35G excavator?
Perfect, that's what I figured. I wasn't expecting to just pull them up in one scoop, just trying to avoid a week long ordeal with a single tooth ripper on my 26hp tractor, a shovel, a pry bar, a farm jack, an axe and whatever else I ended up using last time when I cut the stump too short :)

Thanks,

Sorry for being scattered, too many irons in the fire...

/ Capability of John Deere 35G excavator? #6  
I’d have no problem pulling 12” stumps with that excavator. Take a look a t what I routinely pull with my 9 foot how on a Kubota MX5200

IMG_1226.JPG

/ Capability of John Deere 35G excavator? #7  
BTW it was alive and not rotted when I dug it out

Andy

/ Capability of John Deere 35G excavator? #8  
Ok, I reread your post. My tablet is old and small, and my eyes are gust old.

The 35g will have no issues popping 12” stumps, especially if they are only 18” deep.

Easy- peasy

/ Capability of John Deere 35G excavator? #9  
Should not be the slightest problem - you should be done before lunch!

/ Capability of John Deere 35G excavator?
Cool, I'm going to try to reserve one for Saturday, $289 for a day (returned within 8 hours on hour meter and within 24 hours of rental) with trailer doesn't sound too bad, depending on how smooth it goes maybe I'll have hour meter time to dig at the pond... but that might be a bad idea...