Car Accident Question

/ Car Accident Question #41  
Law enforcement is often loathe to issue a citation unless the offense is personally witnessed by an officer.
If that is your opinion based on your personal experience or observations I will tell you it is very different from mine. My experience based on being an accident investigator for many years. It’s a case by case basis and an officer has a great deal of discretion in if they feel they can support a traffic ticket in court.
But on the civil side most attorneys only rely on the officers report for basic information anyway.

/ Car Accident Question #42  
If that is your opinion based on your personal experience or observations I will tell you it is very different from mine. My experience based on being an accident investigator for many years. It’s a case by case basis and an officer has a great deal of discretion in if they feel they can support a traffic ticket in court.
But on the civil side most attorneys only rely on the officers report for basic information anyway.
No opinion, fact, based on an experience my brother had last year. He was T-boned by a driver running a red. His dash cam caught the incident which clearly showed he had a green light but the police who investigated refused to write up the offending driver based on the video. His insurance company (no fault in this state) did use the video to set fault and got the offending driver's insurance company to pay up.

As I said, I'm sure this varies from state to state and incident to incident. As you say, it's also at the discretion of the investigating officer.

I'm not knocking dash cams. I use one myself but I understand that the video isn't bulletproof.