Car shipping advice needed

/ Car shipping advice needed #1  

turbo36

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD X739 AWS (3), 2016 Toolcat, JD 2038R
I need to ship a car from Pennsylvania to Michigan, I want to use an auto transport service with closed trailers for protection. Any suggestions on where to start?

/ Car shipping advice needed #2  
I used trasportreviews.com and concentrated on reviews of companies with a long history. Mine went smooth, but mine was on a open carrier.

/ Car shipping advice needed #3  
I used trasportreviews.com and concentrated on reviews of companies with a long history. Mine went smooth, but mine was on a open carrier.

I've gone several ways...

The best and most expensive was Passport Transport... now part of Federal Express... the same driver loads and unloads on rigs they are assigned and the equipment is first rate...

A 62 Corvette from Michigan to California was $1800.

The only company I had problems with is the one with Dependable in the name.

They picked up my car in New York and then it sat in a New Jersey transportation terminal for 31 days!!! The total transport was 10 days to two weeks in the contract.

I sent Passport to their yard in it was here in 6 days.

Also had good luck with independents... the problem is that it is always someone new and most transport on open carrier...

Had a car from Florida to California at $720...

Note... all of the above were 5 to 7 years ago...

/ Car shipping advice needed #4  
I have Reliable Transport quite a few times and never had a problem. The West Coast car auctions are in full swing so expect them and others to be fairly busy right now.

/ Car shipping advice needed #5  
Fed-Ex is the one. Georgia to Maine in an enclosed trailer without a scratch. I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.:thumbsup:

/ Car shipping advice needed #6  
I have Reliable Transport quite a few times and never had a problem. The West Coast car auctions are in full swing so expect them and others to be fairly busy right now.

Only tried to use them once... it was e-bay and I now know what the problem was.

I bought a Crosley Convertible in up state New York.

For those not familiar... Crosley's are very small cars with a narrow wheel base... I think 38" from inside tire wall to inside tire wall.

Reliable provided a bid when I was the high bidder and it was very attractive... I clicked on it and provided my credit card...

They sent a flatbed to pick it up and transported to the yard in Jersey... that is when the problem became apparent... most of their rigs have a 40" gap between the parallel rails... so no way was my narrow car going to load...

My beef with them is two fold...

First... they offered to transport my car as the Ebay affiliate... they had all the data on it and it is their business to know cars... they came to me.

Two... and this is the really big one... my car was on the dock in Jersey for 30 days with never a call from them... ever... I had called them and they said they picked it up and it would take two weeks... then I called two weeks later and they said it was only an estimate...

Called back again and said I need to no exactly where my car is... after waiting about 10 minutes... I heard the dispatcher say... Ah Oh... is this that little car sitting out by the dock...

So my one experience was my only bad transport experience with shipping many cars...

They did waive the charge for "Storage" and flat bed...

In the end it cost almost double to get my car... Passport dispatcher chuckled and said they would love to schedule a pickup at a competitor's dock and it wouldn't be the first time...

/ Car shipping advice needed #7  
Reliable is the best there is. they ship all of the Lexus LFAs ($400k). The care they took with those was unheard of!