car trailer to dump trailer, thoughts?

/ car trailer to dump trailer, thoughts? #11  
If determaned to use the car trailer,

make a slide in box that dumps, that way you will still have a car trailer as well as a dump trailer,

and your lower frame on the hoist would not have to be as massive as it can piggy back off the deck of the car trailer,

you would need to keep it loaded light, unless you add a third axel to the trailer, you would then end up with about a 7000 pound capacity in the trailer if the trailer with slid in box weighs in the 3000 pound range

some thing like this,
DumperDogg Buyers hydraulic dump bed inserts
or
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=225787
or
Dump-Pro! Turn your Pickup into a Dumptruck in Minutes! Dump-Pro Website
Whoa! You'd have to get VERY creative to put that kind of a system on a full length car hauler. Either you'd have way too much weight behind the axles, or in order to center the weight correctly, you'd end up dumping the load back onto the car hauler frame.

The only other solution is a 16' dump box with 6K worth of axles under it. Sounds like a recipe for overload and hard to dump.

/ car trailer to dump trailer, thoughts?
OK, OK, you talked me out of it! LOL
Actualy I had dug it out today and gave it a good look over, the angle sides are 5" x 3" x 1/4" , rugged enough and to be honest, it looks like it would be a piece of cake to cut it down.
The decking was rotted beyond belief so I unscrewed it all and started taking it off, TWO out of all the boards came out whole, the rest were like sponges and came apart in pieces! I guess that's what happens when it just sits and sits.
Almost as soon as I got all the deck boards off, a local young man that I know stopped and asked me if that was his new trailer for his tractor. I said it can be for the right price, he looked it over (frame is in great shape, lights all work) We agreed on a price "as is". He said he would put new boards on, I gave him all the screws I took out, told him to get under the trailer and drill pilot holes up throug the existing holes through the wood and reuse the screws.

That was a short lived project, LOL
thank you all for your input and advice.
I'm not sure you could have talked me out of it but I think it would have worked out fine. Although it would have been a "light duty" dumper.
thanks again,
dave

/ car trailer to dump trailer, thoughts? #13  
OK, OK, you talked me out of it! LOL
Actualy I had dug it out today and gave it a good look over, the angle sides are 5" x 3" x 1/4" , rugged enough and to be honest, it looks like it would be a piece of cake to cut it down.
The decking was rotted beyond belief so I unscrewed it all and started taking it off, TWO out of all the boards came out whole, the rest were like sponges and came apart in pieces! I guess that's what happens when it just sits and sits.
Almost as soon as I got all the deck boards off, a local young man that I know stopped and asked me if that was his new trailer for his tractor. I said it can be for the right price, he looked it over (frame is in great shape, lights all work) We agreed on a price "as is". He said he would put new boards on, I gave him all the screws I took out, told him to get under the trailer and drill pilot holes up throug the existing holes through the wood and reuse the screws.

That was a short lived project, LOL
thank you all for your input and advice.
I'm not sure you could have talked me out of it but I think it would have worked out fine. Although it would have been a "light duty" dumper.
thanks again,
dave

That's what I call serendipity... the combination of good fortune and the wits to do something about it when it comes.

I think you're right that it would have worked out fine, but I think this way it will work out better.

/ car trailer to dump trailer, thoughts? #14  
Whoa! You'd have to get VERY creative to put that kind of a system on a full length car hauler. Either you'd have way too much weight behind the axles, or in order to center the weight correctly, you'd end up dumping the load back onto the car hauler frame.

The only other solution is a 16' dump box with 6K worth of axles under it. Sounds like a recipe for overload and hard to dump.

one would not need to put 24" sides on the dump box,

I have a one ton truck with a 12 foot bed, and I have a 1 1/2 ton truck with a 13 foot bed, and I do not load them the same, even tho the beds are nearly the same,

and when I am hauling a product like gravel or I use 12" sides on the 1 1/2 ton truck insted of the 26" grain sides,

all one needs to be is smarter than the trailer,

/ car trailer to dump trailer, thoughts? #15  
one would not need to put 24" sides on the dump box,

I have a one ton truck with a 12 foot bed, and I have a 1 1/2 ton truck with a 13 foot bed, and I do not load them the same, even tho the beds are nearly the same,

and when I am hauling a product like gravel or I use 12" sides on the 1 1/2 ton truck insted of the 26" grain sides,

all one needs to be is smarter than the trailer,

I also have a 1 ton dump.

Dump trucks are great because they are easier to move around.

Dump trailers are far superior in load capacity.

For example, I can carry about 1 1/2 tons of material in my dump body. It won't be full, but I'll be overweight legally.

On my buddies dump trailer, I can carry 3 ton or more easy. But it's a nightmare to back up to job sites.

-- Joe