Carpenter ants--need expert advice

/ Carpenter ants--need expert advice #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
With 10 acres of timber, we get carpenter ants almost every year. This year we saw our first intruders about 3 days ago and have killed 25-30 in the house.

Exterminator will be here Tuesday.

I found where they are coming in and followed them across the grass, thru the woods to a tree we took down a few months ago (it's going out with some logging this summer), 90 feet along that tree to the tip which was almost touching a 90 ft. tall standing tree. Found them going up that standing tree and saw a crook 40 ft. up in the tree indicating old damage and probably rotten wood. I am guessing that's where the nest is.

First question is, where is the "mother" nest--in the house or in the tree? I've watched to see which way they are carrying food, but they carry it both ways.

I expect to fall the tree before the exterminator arrives so we can check it carefully and so he can spray it.

Should I fall the tree this weekend or wait until just before the exterminator arrives? And he says he won't come Tuesday if it's raining (a common thing at this time of year in our area) because he wants the poison to have full effect, so the time between felling and poisoning may be even longer. Does it matter when I fall the tree if it's the mother nest? Or if it is a satellite nest?

/ Carpenter ants--need expert advice #2  
I use Ortho fire ant poison whenever the carpenter ants start coming in the house. A small amount of the powder where the ants walk and they all die quickly. We tried several exterminators but only had limited results. Friends from Florida gave me the poison when they moved.

/ Carpenter ants--need expert advice #3  
With 10 ac of timber, you are always going to have them. They only eat wet wood and nest in damp areas, so your house is safe unless you have a leak. The scouts are always out foraging for food and I have them too....I don't worry about 'em.

/ Carpenter ants--need expert advice #4  
With 10 acres of timber, we get carpenter ants almost every year. This year we saw our first intruders about 3 days ago and have killed 25-30 in the house.

Exterminator will be here Tuesday.

I found where they are coming in and followed them across the grass, thru the woods to a tree we took down a few months ago (it's going out with some logging this summer), 90 feet along that tree to the tip which was almost touching a 90 ft. tall standing tree. Found them going up that standing tree and saw a crook 40 ft. up in the tree indicating old damage and probably rotten wood. I am guessing that's where the nest is.

First question is, where is the "mother" nest--in the house or in the tree? I've watched to see which way they are carrying food, but they carry it both ways.

I expect to fall the tree before the exterminator arrives so we can check it carefully and so he can spray it.

Should I fall the tree this weekend or wait until just before the exterminator arrives? And he says he won't come Tuesday if it's raining (a common thing at this time of year in our area) because he wants the poison to have full effect, so the time between felling and poisoning may be even longer. Does it matter when I fall the tree if it's the mother nest? Or if it is a satellite nest?
I would not disturb the tree. It's felling is likely to make your problem worse.
There are many different types of carpenter ants.
Are the ants black? These are the most common, Like most ants, eradication is most likely achieved by using a poison/bait that is carried back to the nest and queen.
Black carpenter ant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
   / Carpenter ants--need expert advice #5  
The active ingredient (bifenthrin) in Home Defense Max is crazy good on my acreage.

Mix of a batch and spray a perimeter of insect doom and destruction around my place.
The residual is around a month, with no rain of course, so any buggers that try to get in my zone aren't happy. :)

For inside I use the Raid Fumigator, from Walmart, it is more like a smoker than a fogger.
Just put out all three fumigators around the house as I leave for work. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

/ Carpenter ants--need expert advice #6  
If they are in the house, they are either looking for or have found a food source.

Do a perimeter defense around the house. I also use Home Defense Max.

Make sure all your plumbing is good too, no leaks. They don't like dry.

/ Carpenter ants--need expert advice #7  
Another vote for Home Defense Max, we use it outside around the house and wood stacks (not on the wood) also inside along the baseboards. Keeps all bugs to a minimum. Idaho also has the large black carpenter ants.

/ Carpenter ants--need expert advice
Talked to the exterminator today and he says not to take down the tree. If I did that, they would just scatter. The stuff he uses they will take back to the nest & will kill them all.