Case 155

/ Case 155 #1  

seagravedriver

Tractor
52 8N, JD LX266 Lawn tractor, Case Ingersol
My sons and I have recently drug a Case 155 out of my aunts farm. It had sat there for a few years, and it was given to us. It was just to cool to pass up. It has a Kohler engine, (K241), and some hydraulics on it as well. To begin with, we are just trying to get it started. Does anyone have some direction they could point us? The engine turns over, has spark, and has compression. New battery, spark plug and coil.

Been a fun project for the kids and I. We would just like to get it going, not for any real reason other than keeping it from being scraped. Strange, I know....

Craig

/ Case 155
Thanks! Any goods sites on Kohler engines out there? She just won't start yet.

/ Case 155 #4  
If the tractor ran OK prior to being put away, then it should run now with a bit of help. You have already solved one problem and that is to make sure it has spark. I would suggest that you check the gap on the spark plug to make sure it is correct.

The next issue is that of getting fuel/air mixture to the cylinder. More likely than not, the tractor had fuel in it and it evaporated, leaving a gummy residue behind in the fuel tank and in the carb. Go to NAPA and get a can of Sea Foam. Put half the can of Sea Foam in the fuel tank and fill the remainder with fresh, regular gasoline.

Remove the hose that connects the fuel pump to the carb and put the loose end into a clean glass jar. Spin the engine over and see if fuel is being pumped. If so, then reconnect the fuel line.

Remove the air cleaner cover and air filter element. Squirt a bit of fresh gasoline into the throat of the carb and try starting the engine. It should fire a couple of times and then quit due to lack of fuel. If this happens, then the carb needs to be removed, dismantled carefully and soaked overnight in carb cleaning solution. Use fine copper wire to remove gunk from the small passages in the carb. Wash the carb cleaner off using paint thinners (Stoddart Solvent, Varsol etc) available from Home Depot paint aisle. This is clear solution. Compressed air can be used to blow out passages. Put the carb back together and install it. If you did a good job cleaning, the engine should start and run.

/ Case 155
hydrive, We were told it ran, but it's been a while. We pulled the gas tank and cleaned it out, blew out the lines. We will, as you suggested, be cleaning out the carb. We are really excited about this.

On a side note, our two boys saw the way the headlights looked with the hood over them. To them, (and me), it looks like it has an expression. And we have to fix it. Silly? Yes. Fun, yup!