Case 480 backhoe

/ Case 480 backhoe #1  

Longbeard

Tractor
case 480c
I have an old case 480 backhoe I need to know where to top the fluids off at. I seem to recall reading somewhere there is something that need filled that is easily overlooked. I know this is very vague but I read it about ten years ago and can’t recall much about it. If anyone has suggestions I appreciate it.

/ Case 480 backhoe #2  
Transmission fill is on the floor board. And there should be a dipstick to show the level. Torque converter fill tube should be on the left side, setting in the seat, at the rear of the engine compartment. It's sort of tucked behind the upright, the loader arm attaches to. It also has a dipstick, just like a car transmission. The uprights are also your hydraulic tank(s). There should be a small threaded in eye glass. Fill until you see it in that. Fill plug should be above that. Someone put a street el in on mine, to make it easier to fill. Power steering reservoir is on the power steering pump, right front.

/ Case 480 backhoe
Thanks DJ. The tank with the sight glass is the one I always have to fill. I think that tank is rusting out. I know the fuel tank is. Can’t keep fuel in it.

I’ll be sure and check the others too. I wasn’t clear where those were.

/ Case 480 backhoe #4  
Be aware, there is a hose that connects to the other side upright, as it also part of the same hydraulic reservoir. Check for a leaking hose, and/or fitting.

Hopefully, it's just a leaking line, or maybe the valve underneath leaking. I looked the tank up at Case Construction:, and they show it N/A. Googled the part number, and found one used one for $400. If it is in fact the tank itself leaking, I'd have to guess a good radiator shop could patch it.

I know on mine, the throttle shaft seal was leaking on mine. The top of the injection pump was wet with fuel. Luckily, a local diesel supply had the seal kit in stock, 3-4 years ago, for under $25. It "probably" would have been an hour or less job, but as my luck sometimes runs, one of the screws holding the top cover on snapped off, due to rust. It snapped off just under the head, and left enough that I could get on it with a small pair of vise-grips, and turn it out. I got replacement screws at Fastenal, with a internal hex head, so as to use a small allen wrench to install/remove after that, instead of the Fillister type heads. Put a good coat of nickle never-seize, when I installed the new one, mainly on the stem that goes through the cover where it snapped, and a smidge on the threads.

If you plan on keeping it, I'd advise to get an OEM service manual for it. I got one off ebay for mine, slightly used, but in good condition for $75. Well worth the money, when doing repairs. They are about 4" thick, and very detailed, and lots of actual pictures of a procedure, makes life a whole lot easier...