Case 530 Rockshaft

/ Case 530 Rockshaft #1  

sdnadaud59

Tractor
Case 530 Utility
Greetings. My Case 530 rockshaft has lifting arms that I cannot identify anywhere. The arms are equipped with a grease fitting and the arms that attach to the lift links looks like they could rotate within the lifting arms. I am asking for help with any information on this style of 3 point hitch. Please see attached photos. Thanks. 20201117_132708.jpeg20201117_132751.jpeg20201117_132822.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Case 530 Rockshaft #2  
Looks like #25 in this exploded viewhttps://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/caseih/na/tractors/agricultural/under-100-hp/case-ag-utility-tractor-prior-to-sn-8262800/power-train/swinging-draft-arms-before-sn-8211729-eagle-hitch-tractor-prior-to-sn-8262800/cn/A6C3B762-8FBF-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6 is the piece you have pictured. Looks like a PO removed the adjustment part, the yoke in the exploded view attaches to. The adjuster probably failed, and they replaced it with what you have now.

I'd look that part over pretty close for a part number cast into it. Case was pretty good about doing that. Then search Google for the number you find.

Otherwise, if you plan to keep the tractor, look for a parts catalog for it. I'm assuming it's a agricultural/utility model, and not a Construction King model. I did a quick look on ebay, and found a reprint of the parts catalog for the Ag. model. I guess not a bad price for a new catalog, although some reprints I've gotten, the scannning/printing process could be better. Case Model 53? Series Tractor Parts Catalog Manual A4?3 | eBay

If you plan to keep the tractor, using the part number is the key to finding any parts for your 530. Most salvage dealers, and aftermarket part suppliers use the part numbers in their listings. As one part may fit different models, such as in this case,a 430 also.

I'm not sure how much this will help you, but here's a site that has several parts catalogs for the 530CK.Case 53?CK - Manuals Pretty much the same 530 Utility chassis, transmission, and engine's, whether gas or diesel. You'll have to look through them, as many models did have 3 pt. hitch, and were a popular item in that era, to have a loader, and using a Gannon box blade to finish grade in housing developments. This was a transition era, where they used an Ag. utility tractor for industrial purposes, just modifying them with heavier front ends, manual reverser's, etc, before going strictly with industrial models, bringing out the 80, and 90 series.

/ Case 530 Rockshaft
Thank you DJ54 for all the information. This is my first tractor. The PO said it was "a 580 with some carb issue". I had doubts about it being a 580 and the price was good. Well, since owning it I've learned a lot. It is a 530 Utility which I'm happier with. I've always liked the compact tractors. It does have a FEL and Gannon drag.

Looking at a lot of pictures of 530's and casting numbers, in addition to a low engine VIN, I felt it was an early 530 and bought the appropriate parts book. That has been a great help as you stated.

I agree with your part reference and theory as to how it got this way. Thank you so much. I totally missed it in the parts book.

I go back and forth about keeping it but then I find another part to buy to correct a previous "band-aid" repair. The hunting and gathering is fun for me so I guess I am on the road to keeping it. I shouldn't talk too bad about the condition as there is a lot of good things about it that makes it worthwhile to see it all restored to its formal glory.

Thanks for taking the time to reply so nicely to my inquiry. - Steve.

/ Case 530 Rockshaft #4  
Glad to help. 10 years ago, I bought what was believed to be a 530 w/backhoe. It did have 530 decals on it, but when I went to look at it, it didn't look as big as the 530 backhoe we had a work, 25 years before. My first thought was, maybe it just looked bigger to me at that time, after 25 years. Come to find out, I bought a 310B, after running some part numbers.

If yours is a gas model, those engines seem to be bullet proof. Mine ran great, and if it didn't start, it was out of gas. Didn't matter what the temperature was.

I checked on TractorHouse, and if you'd ever feel the need for the proper adjustment linkage that's missing, they have 40, 530's listed in salvage yards across the U.S., and some in Canada. I saw several with the linkage in the pictures. Wouldn't have any idea what they want for them, you'd just have to cheack and see, and what shipping would be. Pardon Our Interruption

I sold mine, then upgraded to a 480C, with a diesel engine. No more than I run it, I'd have preferred a gas engine. I can do 99.9% repairs myself on a gasser.When it comes to injection pumps, that would have to be farmed out, and can get expensive. So far, it's been running great.

Enjoy...

/ Case 530 Rockshaft
Yes mine is gas. So good to hear you speak well of the engine and your experience with them. Whew. I can tell the wife I didn't make a bad decision. LOL.

I do like to keep things original so I will be putting that adjustment link back in. Thanks for the lead on Tractor House.

I will be posting more to this forum. I want to add some pictures and I know I will need more help along the way.

Thank you so much for the help and encouraging words.

Blessings to you. - Steve.

/ Case 530 Rockshaft #6  
Just speaking from personal experience with mine. I've seen a lot of fellows comment on how well they start/run. Of course, and lot of that has to do with previous care it had. One thing you may want to check, is what distributor is in it. Mine had a Prestolite in it, and takes a specific distributor cap, rotor button, and points for it. I can't remember if the other one is a Delco-Remy used on others or not. None the less, parts for the Prestolite distributor are more expensive. The good news, they can be purchased at about any auto parts store. But just to save you some sticker shock, if in fact yors does have the Prestolite, the cap alone was around $24.00, and that was 10 years ago.

There should be a tag riveted to the side of the distributor housing,with the neame brand on it. Use you parts catalog to find the part number for tune-up parts. You can either do a generic Google search using those part numbers, or search auto parts sites, such as Advance, O'Reilly's, Rock Auto, or NAPA.

The internet has surely made things a lot simpler, when looking for parts & such, using oem part numbers.

Brakes is something else that has come to mind. They do have disc brakes, and work well when dry. If they become oil soaked, they kind of, sort of stop you. Not a terrible job to fix, but does take some time, and certain things you can do to make things easier, and less expensive. If this is the case with yours, I can give you some direction there, and some tips for along the way. I really should type the procedure out, and save to a file. It seems at least once a year someone has that problem, and it takes me a good while to type all of that out.

/ Case 530 Rockshaft
So good to know that others also have had good experiences with the engine running and starting. Particularly as I bought mine not running due to the "carb issue". I gave it a quick look over and jumped in with both feet first. I really have to stop doing that. LOL.

I really believe it has good bones and just needs some TLC. Hour meter shows 3131.2. By using the parts book I have narrowed the SN to be a 1962 or early 1963 model.

It has a really heavy duty FEL, a really beefy Gannon, and a really heavy duty 4 post ROP roof canopy. There is a lot of Olive Drab paint evident that a PO has attempted to cover. It has most of the sheet metal but missing the side panels on the gas tank instrument panel area and the chrome strips.

I don't know if Case ever had a military contract but I think this tractor very likely could have been used by the military. This might explain the number of things I have discovered that had been broken and repaired/welded. Some of the repairs were done well, others just a "band-aid" repair.20201119_131432.jpeg