Case 580C Fuel Problem

/ Case 580C Fuel Problem #1  

Rmielbrecht

Tractor
Case 580C
I have a 580C that has always run perfectly, no smoke, starts on first try, etc...This spring I ran it out of fuel because the fuel guage dosen't work. After filling it, it will run ok for about 30 sec then wants to stall (runing out of fuel?) It will recover when you restart it and dies 30 sec later. The tank had some rust so not wanting to play around I had the tank redone, replaced the fuel filters, blew out the 2 lines on the tank and re assembled...Same problem. I pulled the filter out of the pump, its clean. The ball on the return side is already gone. Any ideas before I spend $ on rebuilding the pump. I kind of thought that is a pump went bad it would just be bad.

Thanks!

/ Case 580C Fuel Problem #2  
Probably still has air in the lines or filters. Have you made sure that fuel is flowing freely through the entire system?

/ Case 580C Fuel Problem
I removed the return line from the end of the injectors and fuel flows there.

One thing I noted is that if I simply put my finger over the return going into the pump while it is idling it will stall right away.

Do I just crack the fittings supplying each injector loose while it is idling to bleed off any trapped air?

Ron

/ Case 580C Fuel Problem #4  
then it sounds like there is a restriction or blockage going from the return into the tank. blow air in the return line into the tank. I'm not sure what the line pressure is supposed to be on the return side, probably not much but maybe more than you have. If you run the return into a bucket or fuel can, does the engine run without a problem? Part Throttle? Full Throttle? NOTE: Be sure you have a full tank when trying this.

Left Field: Have you tried running with the cap off the tank (blocked vent hole in cap)

/ Case 580C Fuel Problem #5  
I removed the return line from the end of the injectors and fuel flows there.

Do I just crack the fittings supplying each injector loose while it is idling to bleed off any trapped air?

Ron

Yes while running crack the fuel lines and see if air or fuel comes out. Since it runs with the return line off, I don't suspect air in the injector side of the fuel line.

/ Case 580C Fuel Problem
Yep, tried with the cap off.

Tomorrow I am going to try and see how it runs with the return off. I had only started it before and shut it down as not to leave too large a puddle!

I can see a fairly significant flow coming onto the tank while it runs so I suspect the return is not clogged.

I also started it with the lines cracked going to the injectors. Fuel came right out so no air there.

I was told the the shutting down with just a little pressure on the return side is normal.

I did have someone tell me that one thing they have seen is that older pumps that are fuel lubricated have had problems because of the ultra low sulfur fuels. (which is what I have been using)

I am almost positive I will be pulling the pump tomorrow afternoon. :(

Ron

/ Case 580C Fuel Problem #7  
I have a 70s 580c that has ran perfect with regular maintenance. I started it today and it idled but as soon as I accelerated it didn't want to idle faster, I could tell it wanted to but it just wouldn't . I checked fuel separator. No water. No leaks, I'm thinking maybe I put to low grade of diesel in the tractor. What do you guys think? Tks

/ Case 580C Fuel Problem #8  
Remove the return line on top of the pump.. along w any fittings that are on the top of the pump.. now start it and see if it’ll rev up..
It’s gonna make a mess so b prepared for that..