Case 590sm series 2

/ Case 590sm series 2 #1  

kuboman

Veteran Member
Tractor
B3200, L5740,
Hi there.
Anyone out there with a case tlb. I am new to case so can anyone tell me if I should be able to spin the back wheels pushing into a pile. and in what gear. It is a 2006 590 extendahoe. How do you tell the condition of clutch and torque converter. Manual tranny by the way.

/ Case 590sm series 2 #2  
My last one was a Super E.

It has a manual 4 speed gearbox behind a "power shuttle" with a torque converter. There is no conventional clutch.

If the unit is MFWD, the back tires won't spin unless the front ones do as well.

/ Case 590sm series 2

It has a manual 4 speed gearbox behind a "power shuttle" with a torque converter. There is no conventional clutch.

If the unit is MFWD, the back tires won't spin unless the front ones do as well.

Yes it is a manual 2wd There is a clutch so to speak ahead of the torque converter which is what disengages the tc so you can shift. mine will spin in 1st gear but not second and i just wonder if this is normal or should there be wheel spin in second as well.
The tc does not seem as positive as my john deere but not having ever driven Case until now I don't know if this is 'normal'.

/ Case 590sm series 2

Yes it is a manual 2wd There is a clutch so to speak ahead of the torque converter which is what disengages the tc so you can shift. mine will spin in 1st gear but not second and i just wonder if this is normal or should there be wheel spin in second as well.
The tc does not seem as positive as my john deere but not having ever driven Case until now I don't know if this is 'normal'.

/ Case 590sm series 2 #5  
Spinning in 1st gear only is probably normal. That's what the fluid drive is supposed to do.

Not to argue, but I don't think there is a mechanical clutch. Only a bypass on the TC. If it had a real clutch, you could run it into a pile of dirt and the engine would stall.
The power shuttle on that tractor acts like the front half of an automatic transmission in your car.

As far as how to determine if it needs to be rebuilt or replaced, if it still works and isn't pouring fluid out on the ground, don't worry about it.
I had to have the shuttle rebuilt and a new TC installed on my SuperE about 20 years ago. It costs about $3000 back then. So, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

/ Case 590sm series 2 #6  
Hi there.
Anyone out there with a case tlb. I am new to case so can anyone tell me if I should be able to spin the back wheels pushing into a pile. and in what gear. It is a 2006 590 extendahoe. How do you tell the condition of clutch and torque converter. Manual tranny by the way.
Why do you want to spin wheels anyway, this isn't a cowboy rodeo is it? I'm sure you are well aware that the spinning of wheels is grossly inefficient, wastes fuel, causes excessive tire wear, and is hard on the drive train in general. If you want to test the torque converter use a pressure gauge.

/ Case 590sm series 2
I don't want to spin I was just curious as how much slip was normal. And yes there is a clutch ahead of the tc.. And no it wont stall the engine thats what the tc is for. Same your car. Just with your car you cannot disconnect the tc.

/ Case 590sm series 2 #8  
Again, I'm not trying to pick a fight. And, if I'm wrong, I'll admit it.
Here's the parts breakdown diagram for that machine, and there ain't no mechanical clutch. Parts for Case 590 Super L (590SL) Loader Backhoes (look at "powertrain" in the "parts categories" menu)
The flywheel spins the TC, the TC drives the hydraulic pump for the shuttle. (there is a multi-disc clutch pack inside the shuttle, just like an automatic transmission has in a car)

/ Case 590sm series 2 #9  
If you can get any wheel spin at all, the torque converter is good. Just make sure the oil is good, the filters are changed, and the strainer is clean. There are several torque converter manufacturers that supply the construction and heavy equipment industry, with Twin Disc being one of the major players. Case does not manufacture torque converters. Like I said before - consult your shop manual for pressure specs.

/ Case 590sm series 2
Section 6, page 20 is a picture of the input shaft with the hydraulic clutch. It is the torque converter that keeps the engine from stalling as you push into a pile. The clutch allows you to disconnect power to the transmission so you can shift and disengage when needing extra revs for dumping.