CASE Guys

/ CASE Guys #1  

presnewt

Silver Member
Tractor
Steiner 440
I posted this a few days ago in the Case forum but got no responses so I am reposting here. What is the good, bad and ugly(if any) about the Farmall C series tractors. I am looking for a 50 Hp, hydro transmission and cab. My local dealer is a Case dealer so I am starting there. Other options are Massey Ferguson and Kioti/Bobcat. These dealers are a little farther away. Thanks for any input/opinions.

/ CASE Guys #2  
I had a farmall c, it didn't have 50hp, a hydro trans, or a cab. It didn't even have a live PTO. I had the row crop front end. I ran a flail mower and 14-2 plow with it.

/ CASE Guys #3  
I posted this a few days ago in the Case forum but got no responses so I am reposting here. What is the good, bad and ugly(if any) about the Farmall C series tractors. I am looking for a 50 Hp, hydro transmission and cab. My local dealer is a Case dealer so I am starting there. Other options are Massey Ferguson and Kioti/Bobcat. These dealers are a little farther away. Thanks for any input/opinions.
I have a 75C. It is a very nice tractor. It is a cab tractor. I Like the layout of the cab better than the A versions. CNH are good tractors. Seems the NH versions get more forum talk, but they are the same. Local dealer is important to some, but I bought for value. I bought it very slightly used and is a good value to me.

/ CASE Guys #4  
There is an older model Farmall C which didn't come in that large an engine, we are talking old, old.

The one you are referring to must be the newer make, not the same as the old one at all. As Stublinhorse says it, new model, is made by CNH who also makes the New Holland.

The new Case IH 50C has the Shibaura engine, it appears. I know that Shibaura is a great Japanese made engine that they have been putting in a lot of Ford/New Holland and Case IH tractors for many years. We have a Massey Ferguson 1750M with a Shibaura engine in it and it is a great runner. I also had a little SCUT Case IH DX24e with the Shibaura engine in it and it was a great little tractor. That engine starts almost as easy as a Yanmar in the winter, almost. Years ago, I also had a old Ford 1215 (Made in the 90's for reference how long they have been using Shibaura) Subcompact with the engine in it, no issues with that engine either.

My experience with Shibaura is, it is in the same conversation of quality as the Yanmar/Kubota/Iseki. Among the best for small tractors. This is my opinion, no proof of this, just based on my experience with them.

I do not know about the DEF on the tractor you are looking into. None of mine had/have DEF. That would be what I would do my research on. Ask the dealers, google any known DEF issues with that model etc.

If you don't read of a lot of significant DEF issues, I would buy it.

/ CASE Guys #5  

Case/New Holland make a decent tractor, so you'll probably be happy with the tractor. It's more of a small acreage/weekend warrior type tractor, but will do fine for that type use. Most people don't put huge hours on their tractors like that, but USE it. The more you use it, the better it will perform for you. Don't let it sit unused for long periods of time.

If you are going to be doing lots of heavy chores with it, need PTO horsepower, and put hundreds of hours a year on a tractor, you may want to step up to a Case 75c, but depending on your uses, the one you asked about should be fine. Probably much better parts support than the MF or Kioti as well. CNH sells lots of tractors and they try to keep parts in stock. In these times, waiting for a part to arrive from overseas can mean months of down time when you need it.

/ CASE Guys #6  
You’d probably get more/better responses if you edit your thread title to “Case-IH guys”.
Case-IH is the tractor division.
“Case” is construction tractors and VERY old (40+ years ago) name for Case’s original ag tractors.

/ CASE Guys #8  
CASE Can’t Afford Something Else haha no I don’t know anything about tractors but I thought that’s funny.

/ CASE Guys
Thanks everyone. The Case website does show a 50C model as well as the 45 and 55 hp models. I would be using the tractor mostly for bush hog work. I think my biggest concern is whether they are LS Tractors. Those tractors are not very well known in my area and I have not read a whole lot of good things about them.
The Farmall 50C is not a current model. The have a 45C and a 55C. I'm pretty sure those are LS compacts that both CaseIH and NH sell.

/ CASE Guys #10  
Thanks everyone. The Case website does show a 50C model as well as the 45 and 55 hp models. I would be using the tractor mostly for bush hog work. I think my biggest concern is whether they are LS Tractors. Those tractors are not very well known in my area and I have not read a whole lot of good things about them.
Right you are! I didn't see that at CaseIH when I looked. I did a search and found it. Yes, it is just a differently tuned version of the same LS made models. I believe all of the CNH small compact tractors are made by LS.

LS makes a good tractor. Most of the problems I have seen are brought on by people not understanding how to use the tractor (some regen related, some don't realize tractors aren't bull dozers).

I grew up with IH.