Case-IH 395 new clutch will not disengage

/ Case-IH 395 new clutch will not disengage #1  

harleyrick

Tractor
1990 Case-IH 395
Installed new clutch kit (throw-out bearing, pressure plate and friction plate) in my 395 and it won't disengage when you push in the clutch. This is the mechanical clutch (no cab). Does anyone know if you have to adjust the fingers on the pressure plate, as my throw-out bearing has an inch less travel than before installation.

/ Case-IH 395 new clutch will not disengage #2  
Everything I have ever bought, you didn't need to adjust, but not saying you don't.. I have bought pressure plates that had clips, or little blocks that held the fingers in, untill installed, relieving the pressure on them, then you removed them. Do you recall if the fingers seemed to be fully released, when you installed..??

If there were, they could have dropped, and not allowing the pressure plate to release.

Or, unless the disc was put in backwards...??

/ Case-IH 395 new clutch will not disengage #3  
There are a couple of holes here, did you have the flywheel surfaced? I believe that is a step flywheel and there are certain measurements that need to be used or you can not get a good fit! How long have you had the tractor? Hours? First clutch replacement or second?(two times and you are out on the flywheel!)

Don't ask me how I know, it wasn't cheap!!!

/ Case-IH 395 new clutch will not disengage
I bought the tractor new in 1990. This is the first clutch replacement, it has 1149 hours on it. The flywheel looked new with no damage or ridges so it wasn't resurfaced. I took the clips out of the pressure plate before installing it. I've split the tractor 8 times so far, trying different things. The original friction disk was a 4 pad, and the replacement disk has 6 pads as the 4 were discontinued. When I first installed the friction disk there was a sticker on it that said, "this side flywheel". I noticed the hub on the friction disk has 2 different lengths, the side with the sticker is half inch or so longer. I've tried installing the friction disk both ways. Thanks for the help!

/ Case-IH 395 new clutch will not disengage #5  
We have to go a little further, did your parts come from Case-IH? Do you have the two stage clutch or the single stage?

The replacement kit came from my local autoparts store, as I'm 2 hours from the nearest case dealer living in the ozarks of Arkansas. I'm not sure what you're referring to about the stages. My clutch is the straight mechanical type, no hydraulics. If I install everything on the shaft first my throwout bearing lever is where it's supposed to be. But when I bolt the pressure plate to the flywheel using the inspection hole underneath the tractor, I lose about an inch of travel. I'm on the verge of eating the $360 for the replacement kit and ordering a kit from Case. I'm lost without my tractor and loader.

/ Case-IH 395 new clutch will not disengage #7  
There are some variations on these systems and I'd be going back to the store in hopes of finding the one you took out to assist getting the right measurements to set up the new one.

There is a single stage clutch disc system used on those tractors as well as a two stage clutch system. It is normal to go to the six pad discs but there are some differnt arm configureations used which is where you need he original to move from.

Art thanks! Went to my nearest Case-IH dealer and bought the factory clutch kit. Put it in and my clutch problem was solved. The aftermarket pressure plate base was not as thick as the Case's and the three fingers were adjusted a lot lower than the factory's. The good news is my local auto parts store refunded my money on the aftermarket kit! :thumbsup: I guess the moral to this thread, "dance with the one who brought ya". Thanks again for the help. One thing good came out of this, after 12 times, I can split a 395 blindfolded.