Case-IH 495

/ Case-IH 495 #1  

Dachshund

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 8N, International 454, Farmall M
Anyone know anything about the 495? Good, Bad, Ugly? What is a good price for one? Couldn't run the one I found (dealer was closed), but it LOOKED ok (check it out more later). Just wondering if it was worth looking into and what price range I was looking at.

/ Case-IH 495 #2  
Depends what your plans are for it as to whether or not it's a good tractor for you . It's a pretty nice small utility with very good German 179ci eng, 50hp net, ind pto and weighs in around 5klbs. Price would depend on hours, but I'd say$5k-7k without loader. Probably add another grand if from dealer. There's one local for sale with 2150 loader for $8.5k
Watch for clutch fingers wearing from TO bearing as it's a constant contact type. Some were provided with a teflon spacer, but that wears also. Best to convert to freeplay style clutch release. Park brake is another trouble, as top of rear frame has to come off to fix. If brake doesn't work, it means brake lining is in housing and can cause some hyd problems. Pretty sound tractor all in all though.

/ Case-IH 495 #3  
I looked for a 464, 484, 385,485, etc all summer. 464s were over $5000 if in reasonable shape, I found one nice 484 for $8000, a low hour 385 for $7200(dealer) before buying a 500 hr 385 for $6200. The 95 series started in '91. I think the area of the country must vary the prices on a particular unit.

Don't give up on the brake until you try to adjust it, but use it as a bargaining point. An 8/4 transmission is standard, while a shuttle transmission and a torque amplifier was available and if working correctly should add to the value. They weigh about 5000 lbs

/ Case-IH 495
OK - I'll know more about it tomorrow. I don't plan on "farming" with it, I just need a tractor that is a little easier to get onto than my 460 (bad kness, arthur, etc.....) with close to the same HP. I'll use it mainly for utility work and garden, loader, ect...... stuff. Most of my 101 acres is pasture so I may call on it to do a little haying every once in awhile.

/ Case-IH 495 #5  
Hey Gene, theres a 495 in Shreveport for $8350 with loader and a a 6' hd cutter for 8350. Not a bad deal if you wanted to trade the 385 in. Could probably be talked down since it's been in paper for 2wks or better.

/ Case-IH 495
Well - found out they want $8500 for it. Outta my price range right now. Guess I have to wait until I win the Lottery! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Case-IH 495 #7  
Hey Mac, That sounds like a good price IF it is in good shape. I really think a loader would be in my way unless it has a quick disconnect. I use my tractor mostly for cutting grass and I get in some tight places. I might find out mine is underpowered, but I'm going to hang on to it long enough to see.
Gene

/ Case-IH 495 #8  
The loader on my brother's 485 is quick disconnect and comes off easy. Has muffler under the tractor and it gets loud after a few hours of field work. Otherwise a good tractor.

/ Case-IH 495 #9  
My muffler is under the tractor, too, but I prefer it to the vertical muffler because of the trees I mow under. I've considered trying to run the muffler parallel to the engine to route the exhaust to the front. Anyone tried that?