Buying Advice Case IH or Kubota

/ Case IH or Kubota #1  

Pcharles

Tractor
M-F 1080, Ford 3000
Looking at new CaseIH Farmall 70A. Not much info pro/con here. Dealer prices it at $32,500 plus. Need to handle big round bales and mow 70 acres, fairly hilly. Using 1080 Massey and old 10 Bushhog now, but the repairs (I am NOT a mechanic) are overwhelming, frustrating and expensive. Any ideas?

/ Case IH or Kubota #2  
Consider every brand within an hours driving distance to start with. They are all good machines now days.

I would like to also add that just because one person may think that any certain machine is perfect for them in no way indicates that it would be perfect for you. Some people go on about how good certain features are on a tractor and I think to myself, "I don't really like that".

Everyone likes something just a bit different than another. You really should sit on as many as you can to get a better feel for each one.

Good luck. ;)

Last edited:
   / Case IH or Kubota #3  
:welcome:
to the TBN forum Pcharies. Glad you joined.

You came to the right place as we love to spend other peoples money.

Not only go to the different dealers but test drive each model you are considering.

/ Case IH or Kubota #4  
If you shop, and you should, you will soon be overwhelmed by the number of choices. I agree with the dealer idea. Online data cannot tell you whether you are going to like the machine or not. Only seat time will do that.

You are starting with a good solid knowledge of tractors so that will help. Within a minute or so in the seat you'll know whether a tractor feels right or not.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted.

Welcome to TBN.

/ Case IH or Kubota #5  
Make sure to pick a loader that’s up for the task of moving round bales.

I look at “weight to full height at 500mm from pins” I like that to be over 1100lbs. From the looks of it the L545 loader may not be up to the task, I would make sure they quote the L555 loader on the 70A.

Now by “mow” 70 acres are you bailing it or just hogging it?

Just some info for you, case is owned by CNH (Case New Holland) so the new Holland tractors will be similar to the case ones, I believe LS is owned by CNH also.

/ Case IH or Kubota #6  
The New Holland Workmaster 50/60/70 is the same equivalent tractor to the Farmall series. I looked at the specs on the Case IH site and some of those are incorrect. The wheel base for the 4WD version is 77.5" and the fuel capacity is 17 gallons. The specs for that FEL can't be right. The 621 TL on my Workmaster 50 lifts right at 10' and has a 3550# capacity at the pins.

The advice here is spot on. Check out several different brands. I've been really happy with the overall performance and reliability of my Workmaster.

/ Case IH or Kubota
Thanks for the advice. The Case/Kubota dealer is the closest and while pricey, has been helpful to me in the past. M-F dealer has been totally unhelpful. Will have to research other dealers in area. My biggest worry is not having enough tractor. I don’t bale, just mow hilly pasture. The dealer said he didn’t think the 70A would run my Bushhog 10’ mower, but would be happy to sell me a newer, lighter mower. I will have to check the loader model as I need to move large round bales, including unstacking from the top, maybe 15’ high. Stack is typical 3-2-1 configuration. Using Ford 3000 to do this now—very scary plus it’s always breaking down. Looking at used ads in Tractorhouse and Craigslist, but afraid of mechanical issues. How much compensation would be attractive to a mechanic to travel to look at a used one? Also, dealer has 2012 Kubota 7060 with 1600 hours plus loader for $28,500.

/ Case IH or Kubota #9  
Like Truby said the Workmaster & Case Farmall A series are twins with different paint. Not sure why the loaders they are fit with would be so different but Case does say the 555 loader only has a max Lift of 1782lbs full height at the pins, which is crazy since the NH Workmaster 621 loader is 3550 lbs. Look at several other big leading brands and really research the Loader specs.
I have a Workmaster 60 with 621tl loader and have been nothing but happy with it. I have horses and move/stack round bales, but I don't run a Hay operation so I can't speak how it will hold up to it daily. But I do think I would want a larger and heavier tractor for running big bales around on a daily basis.

Here's a pic of my Workmaster with an 1100 lbs round bale at full height. I only stack two high, but I think there is pretty feasible to be done.

Attachments

• IMG_20171023_161752535_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171023_161752535_HDR.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 546