Case Seat Adjust Rant

/ Case Seat Adjust Rant #1  

Argonne

Gold Member
Tractor
JD2210, Ford 4400, Case IH 685, Terramite T7, JD 6x4 M-Gator
I have a Case/IH 685. Nice tractor. About my only complaints with it are that the operator position is a tight squeeze for guys as big and tall as I am, and the seat suspension preload adjustment is just insanely difficult to adjust. If my wife gets off of it, and I get on, I am in for 10 minutes of hard labor cranking that stupid 1 1/2 knob on the back of the seat. It has developed that the Case is my tractor and the Ford is hers, just to avoid adjusting that seat.

Last summer I started working on a nearby horse ranch, and he had a brand spanking new Case/Farmall 60A to do most of the field work with. To my dismay, I found that it has exactly the same seat adjustment knob that my 30 year old 685 has. Oh well, deal with it, at least I'm getting paid for the time I spend adjusting the seat.

Before today, I was merely annoyed with the engineers at Case regarding their seat design. After today....well check this out.

I was mounting a large grader blade on the 60A 3-point. Since the seat switch prevents the tractor from running when the seat is unoccupied, and since this isn't my tractor and would be unacceptable for me to jump out the switch, I had my wife sit in the seat so she could start it up and fine tune the lift and tractor position while I was back with the blade putting the pins in.

I tell her, "hey, jump in the tractor and start it up willya, I need help with this." She climbs up and cranks the engine, and, nothing, cranks but wont start. I say, "let me try it". She gets down, I get up, and it starts for me. I shut it down, she climbs up, and it won't start. Two more cycles like this!

Yes, it's true. The morons at Case put the seat sensor between the suspension and the tractor, instead of between the seat and the suspension. If the operator is not heavy enough to compress the suspension at it's current setting, the engine will not start. So I had to do the requisite 10 minutes of hard labor with the forever be damned Case seat suspension knob just so my 100lb wife could start the engine and help with the 3-pt, and then I had to do another 10 minutes of hard labor to set the seat back before bouncing around in a field for 4 hours.

While I'm "critiquing" the 60A, the dipstick goes in a bare hole in the block which is nearly impossible to locate if you have a loader on the machine, and anything but a blind luck bulleye with the stick will carry dirt into the engine every time you check the oil. Adding oil requires either a ladder at the front of the tractor or an end-loader to climb. Once up there you need to lay on the engine to reach the filler. Opening the hood wide does not give access to the filler from the sides.

/ Case Seat Adjust Rant #2  
Just wondering if the tractor has a parking brake? On my tractor if I put it in neutral and set the parking brake it will stay running when I leave the seat.

/ Case Seat Adjust Rant #4  
The smaller Case/IH cultivator tractors of 25 years ago are the same thing. I had a beautiful high crop Japanese built Case 265 that I sold because I couldn't get my legs on the pedals. Heck, I'm not that big or tall. Maybe Case has short engineers? :)

/ Case Seat Adjust Rant
Just wondering if the tractor has a parking brake? On my tractor if I put it in neutral and set the parking brake it will stay running when I leave the seat.

It does have a parking brake, but on or off, the engine dies when the seat suspension tops out.

/ Case Seat Adjust Rant
Some adjustment on the cable ?

Don't know what cable that would be. The seat assembly electronics are connected to the tractor via a cable and connector that is, thankfully, very accessible for those with the option of jumping out the switch/

/ Case Seat Adjust Rant #8  
It does have a parking brake, but on or off, the engine dies when the seat suspension tops out.

There has to be something wrong with the safety switch setup with the parking brake. From what you describe there is no way you could use your tractor pto in a stationary position without someone sitting in the seat they were not designed that way. I would be checking the safety setup. On the seat I think you need to use a lot of lube while backing out the adjustment knob put anti seize lube or something like it and keep working the adjuster back and forth until things free up. I had a tractor with a similar setup that I had to do this to. I agree the round knob is not the best setup to grip should be more like a t handle or something.

/ Case Seat Adjust Rant
There has to be something wrong with the safety switch setup with the parking brake. From what you describe there is no way you could use your tractor pto in a stationary position without someone sitting in the seat they were not designed that way.

What you say is perfectly logical, but this thing has behaved this way since the day it rolled off the lot. I'll play with the parking brake today. Maybe both pedals need to be mashed along with the brake plunger needing to be locked in the up position. Frankly, I stopped expecting to encounter logic on this machine.

First thing I did was hose the seat mechanism with chain-lube, made no difference. Machine had 30 hours on it.

Last week the foot throttle stopped working and it threw code 3001, "foot throttle signal not plausible".