Cast iron repair

/ Cast iron repair #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
I have a 32" bandsaw ca.1920, with a chip in the rim of the upper wheel. I'm trying to figure out the best way to repair, before re-tiring the wheel.

Wheel is cast iron, with a machined rim and hub, and some spot removal on the spokes for balancing. Since getting it right and strong is much more important to me than saving a few dollars, I'm looking for the only "best" way to repair this, and how to find the right expert to do it. Spray welding to build it up? Cut and weld in a segment of steel? Brazing? Glass-reinforced epoxy?

How do I even go about weeding out all of the, "we could probably do something with that" guys, and find a real expert who is going to get this right the first time? I really do NOT want to do this twice, as it will mean a lot of repair and re-tiring work, plus more machine down-time.

/ Cast iron repair #2  
a few close up images would be useful. also if using heat for repair, i like to wrap wet towels close to the repair on each side to avoid heat radiating & possible warping the wheel. good luck

Last edited:
   / Cast iron repair #3  
I have a 32" bandsaw ca.1920, with a chip in the rim of the upper wheel. I'm trying to figure out the best way to repair, before re-tiring the wheel.

Wheel is cast iron, with a machined rim and hub, and some spot removal on the spokes for balancing. Since getting it right and strong is much more important to me than saving a few dollars, I'm looking for the only "best" way to repair this, and how to find the right expert to do it. Spray welding to build it up? Cut and weld in a segment of steel? Brazing? Glass-reinforced epoxy?

How do I even go about weeding out all of the, "we could probably do something with that" guys, and find a real expert who is going to get this right the first time? I really do NOT want to do this twice, as it will mean a lot of repair and re-tiring work, plus more machine down-time.
If it was mine, I would have it welded. There are special rods for cast iron, and procedures, that often make the repair as good as new. If you know of a trusted machine shop, they may be familiar with what is necessary to do the job the right way. There was a family run shop near me that did a lot of engine rebuilds and most blocks and heads were cast iron, so they had abilities to do serious repairs. I know this because I worked there part-time, after getting off my regular job.

In my humble opinion, if you want a repair to last, epoxy would be my last choice in this particular situation. Brazing would be my second choice.

/ Cast iron repair #5  
This worked for the 454 chev exhaust manifolds they would crack
and the cement for the cast iron woood stoves worked for the repair

willy

/ Cast iron repair #6  
TIG using silicon/bronze. After cleaning the area, warm the whole wheel up to take the chill off it, build it up using silicon bronze and grind to suit. Just remember, you're brazing not welding so you don't melt the base metal. Worst thing with a spoke wheel is the stresses that build up in places you wouldn't think, that's the reason for warming the whole thing up.

/ Cast iron repair #7  
Spray powder torch would work well too.

/ Cast iron repair
Hey guys, here are some close ups I grabbed this morning. I’ll try to remember to grab a photo of the whole wheel when I go back out to the shop after lunch. Click on either thumbnail for full size.

IMG_2284.jpeg IMG_2283.jpeg

/ Cast iron repair #9  
I'd go with the SB if it were me. One of two ways, after cleaning it up, either fill up fully with SB rod or (my preference) cut a small piece of formed steel and SB it in. I wouldn't think there'd be a lot of strain on it so I wouldn't be overly concerned about full penetration.

/ Cast iron repair #10  
Hey guys, here are some close ups I grabbed this morning. I’ll try to remember to grab a photo of the whole wheel when I go back out to the shop after lunch. Click on either thumbnail for full size.

View attachment 854210 View attachment 854211
After seeing the pic of the wheel, I am not so sure welding is the best idea. I had pictured in my mind a much thicker and heavier wheel. While its possible with a smaller diameter rod to weld cast that thin, Tig may be the better option if it's as thin as it looks in pic. I hope I haven't muddied the water. Good Luck