Cataracts and other visual concerns!

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns!
Right eye surgery is to be some time May 7 determined on May 6th. Hoping for 20/20 again but at least 20/40 then tweak with glasses.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #53  
Good luck! Thanks for starting this thread; I have learned lots.

All the best, Peter

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #54  
Right eye surgery is to be some time May 7 determined on May 6th. Hoping for 20/20 again but at least 20/40 then tweak with glasses.
Before I had my cataract surgeries I talked to a lot of people who'd had the procedure done. Not ONE was unhappy with the results. And for sure I'm more than pleased with my new eyeballs! So I think you'll be fine.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #56  
Beware - all is not gold. There's a chance that you may or may not have corrected 20/20 nearsight and farsight vision even after the surgery. Some people do, so don't. And there will surely be a little discomfort in night driving, but with tinted yellow thow-away glasses, that's easily overcome.
Either way, you're going to be very pleased with the improvement.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #57  
aI got stuck in a hospital for 3 days and only received
IV's and what else they added. My bill for the 3 days
$9,000 because of my insurance they dropped it to
$3,000

willy

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #58  
Wife is only 58 and has had glaucoma since age 21 or so. Part of the reason we worked to retire early. She knows she will be blind when we are old.

She's had all kinds of eye issues. Laser surgery many times. Tore her retina a couple of times. Doc for that was excellent (Duke med + Johns Hopkins eye). Our insurance was good when working.

Now she needs cataracts done. They can also put in a stent for the glaucoma. Doc is 'in network', but surgical center isn't. They can make an exception, but her primary care doc has to do the paperwork. It is a hot mess. This "cheap" plan she found is garbage.

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #59  
I was nearsighted and had worn glasses since grade school. I was diagnosed with Fuchs dystrophy about 12 years ago. Fuchs is a disease of the endothelial layer of the cornea that results in the growth of little fingers of tissue on the inner side of the cornea and the failure of the endothelial layer to pump water out of the cornea resulting in edema of the cornea. 9 years ago my eye doctor referred me to Deavers Eye Institute in Portland Oregon. They did an operation (DMEC) to replace the diseased endothelial tissue with healthy donor tissue.
At the same time cataract surgery was done to reduce the risk to the transplant tissue by doing it later, I had what was described as "age appropriate cataracts" at that time. I chose do get distance vision lenses at that time. My distance vision is 20/25 now. I have to wear reading glasses for close up vision now, I have prescription glasses for that as I found that dime store readers gave me a headache.
Recovery time was a bit longer than routine cataract surgery as there was a gas bubble placed under the cornea to hold the donar tissue in place, about a week laying on my back to properly position the bubble.
In conclusion, I would do this again in a heartbeat if it was necessary, I was eager to get the second one done!

/ Cataracts and other visual concerns! #60  
Wife is only 58 and has had glaucoma since age 21 or so. Part of the reason we worked to retire early. She knows she will be blind when we are old.

She's had all kinds of eye issues. Laser surgery many times. Tore her retina a couple of times. Doc for that was excellent (Duke med + Johns Hopkins eye). Our insurance was good when working.

Now she needs cataracts done. They can also put in a stent for the glaucoma. Doc is 'in network', but surgical center isn't. They can make an exception, but her primary care doc has to do the paperwork. It is a hot mess. This "cheap" plan she found is garbage.
A doc that is high volume and or a partner has some pull.

One of our docs would do training for other docs with big screen set up or news crews… those patients paid nothing as the lens was free, the doc and facility also no cost.