Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics #1  

mscheeer772

Help!!!! I Was mowing this morning with my 4310JD tractor and 5ft mower when the hydraulics
on my front end loader become extremely jerky. I shut the tractor down and when I did I could hear
fluid leaking. Looked at my sight glass and there was no fluid showing. I need to get my tractor home
and was wondering if I can drive it with no hydraulic fluid?

I Have Xtra Armour protecting all the vitals under the tractor, but a stick, stump or some other woody
object pierced the filter. It was dripping fluid from underneath the sight class at the back of the tractor.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
If I brought extra hydrant fluid and filled up the reservoir would that help?

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics #2  
Depends partly on how fast the leak is - you've already come dangerously close to destroying the pump (they DO NOT like being run dry) - but if there's no other option (like taking tools, fluid and a new filter to the tractor WHERE IT SITS) and if the leak is slow enough, you MIGHT get away with it.

I'm not familiar with your tractor, pretty sure the ONLY way the above would work is if the filter is on the RETURN line, NOT the pressure side.

My recommendation would be NOT to chance it if there's ANY way you can COMPLETELY fix it in the field - new pumps can run anywhere from $300 up to a thou$and depending on the model/seller, etc, that much money could get you other improvements instead of buying a new pump... Steve

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics #3  
I’d fix it in the field. It isn’t like a filter is that hard to change.

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics
thx for the replies. Due to circumstances I don't want to get into I can't get a filter or Hydraulic fluid to the tractor.
I have a JD 4319 gear tractor with an e-power reverse.
Can I tow the tractor without doing damage?

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics #5  
If there is no hydraulic fluid on the tractor, I don't think you'll be able to move it as the clutch packs won't be able to engage.

Just put everything in Neutral and tow it slowly, if it's short distance.

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics #6  
Hey, duct tape to the rescue?, maybe,
Could work if the filter is on return side but certainly not if under pressure,

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics #7  
Hey, duct tape to the rescue?, maybe,
Could work if the filter is on return side but certainly not if under pressure,
OP says he can't get hyd fluid to the field.
Duct tape will probably not help if hyd. oil cannot be added.
Duct tape will not adhere to an oily surface, and thus will likely not hold back oil either.

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics #8  
You cant get to the filter in the field do to the under belly pan you put on? Either way the filter needs to be changed. If your physically not able to I would contact a mobile tractor mechanic and have them do it right where it sits. I'm sure it will be cheaper than damaging internal components.

Usualy your owners manual will tell you how to flat tow a tractor.

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics #9  
Not sure I understand circumstances "you dont want to get into".

What possible circumstances would allow you to get another machine to the field and tow it, but not a filter and a bucket of fluid?

/ Catastrophic failure with Hydraulics #10  
Not sure I understand circumstances "you dont want to get into".

What possible circumstances would allow you to get another machine to the field and tow it, but not a filter and a bucket of fluid?
That^