Tires Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading

/ Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading #1  

rew1953

Tractor
1970 Ford 4000; 1953 Ford NAA
Has anyone experienced a catastrophic rear failure while working your tractor. I was doing some finish grading work on a small bank where I had removed some dirt to place around trees in the yard with exposed roots with the NAA and grader blade. As I was finishing, I had the tractor on a slight down hill slope sideways when the down hill, left tire, blew with a loud bang. Scared me to death as the tractor tilted immediately to the down hill side. I quickly turned the nose down hill to prevent a rollover, which is my biggest fear when operating the tractor on our hilly farm. I had rolled the tractor to a flat spot off the bank. I chocked the 3 good tires and removed the bad tire with the 4000 and a boom pole. Loaded tires are too heavy without an assist. I got the tire up to the garage before before I really did an inspection. The rears had some serious dry rot issues after being on the tractor 45 years mostly in the sun, but they both had 85-90 % tread left. The tractor has never been on a hard road since I have owned it. I was aware of the dry rot, but thought I could get a few more years out of the tires. On inspection, I was surprised to find out the tire had not blown out. It was the rim that had blown. The tire was damaged at the sidewall were it rolled off the rim getting to the flat spot. It might have been reusable, but exceeded my somewhat lowered comfort level, Time for a new tire. I regularly check all my tires and wheels, especially with the visible dry rot. Honestly, the rims did not look bad, The only thing holding the rim together was the 8 coats of paint I had put on them. I had made a quality repair on both rear rims on the original restore in 1975. The drop centers were very thin, but the bead seats looked good. I had a piece of 3/16 plate cut and rolled at the plant, they called this gov't work and was okay as an added benefit by management if it was not abused. I strapped both rear rims with the plate and cinched it up with a come along until I could butt weld the ends. Then did a full weld on both sides of the rim until the full circumference was welded. Then split the middle and hammered it down to create a depression to mount the tire. Finally welded the split up to make the rim complete. Finally spent the next 3 days grinding and buffing the welds smooth so no tube damage would occur. Very proud of the DIY rim repair. Sadly, a repair is just that, a repair. I should have not expected the repair to last forever, but 45 years ain't half bad. I did have enough sense to take the other tire off and break it down for inspection. It was in a similar condition, but not quite as bad as the left. Maybe would have gone another year or two. So 2 new rims and 1 new tire. Over $1100 incl tubes and freight. Could not afford a second tire as I had lost a 13.6x38 on the 4000, which was $1500 with tube, freight and ballast. Not a good year for tires. Well, both tractors back in operation, but dead broke. Good thing the virus curbed eating out and I don't have to dodge that bullet with the other half. Still catching it for buying the second tractor over a year ago, even though I use each 2-3 days a week,every week. Each has their own purpose. The point is, inspect your tires and rims regularly and expect the unexpected when operating a tractor. Leave an out if possible.

Attachments

• 20180719_153008.jpg
    20180719_153008.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 175
  • 20180719_153034.jpg
    20180719_153034.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 148
  • 20190918_085435.jpg
    20190918_085435.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 125
  • 20190918_085527.jpg
    20190918_085527.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 126
  • 20190918_085611.jpg
    20190918_085611.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 242
  • 20190918_085613.jpg
    20190918_085613.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 146
  • 20190918_085709.jpg
    20190918_085709.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 120
  • 20190918_085728.jpg
    20190918_085728.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 163
   / Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading #2  
I won't even try to read that wall of words and what pictures are clear enough to see show what appears to be severe rust.

/ Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading #3  
WoW!!! I think my eyes crossed/uncrossed half a dozen times on that epistle. Glad all is OK now. In the future - use paragraphs.

/ Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading #4  
Glad you are okay. What do you think it caused such rust?

/ Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading #5  
Has anyone experienced a catastrophic rear [wheel] failure while working your tractor?

I was doing some finish grading work on a small bank where I had removed some dirt to place around trees in the yard with exposed roots with the NAA and grader blade. As I was finishing, I had the tractor on a slight down hill slope sideways when the down hill, left tire, blew with a loud bang. Scared me to death as the tractor tilted immediately to the down hill side.

I quickly turned the nose down hill to prevent a rollover, which is my biggest fear when operating the tractor on our hilly farm. I had rolled the tractor to a flat spot off the bank. I chocked the 3 good tires and removed the bad tire with the 4000 and a boom pole. Loaded tires are too heavy without an assist. I got the tire up to the garage before before I really did an inspection.

The rears had some serious dry rot issues after being on the tractor 45 years mostly in the sun, but they both had 85-90 % tread left. The tractor has never been on a hard road since I have owned it. I was aware of the dry rot, but thought I could get a few more years out of the tires. On inspection, I was surprised to find out the tire had not blown out. It was the rim that had blown.

The tire was damaged at the sidewall were it rolled off the rim getting to the flat spot. It might have been reusable, but exceeded my somewhat lowered comfort level, Time for a new tire. I regularly check all my tires and wheels, especially with the visible dry rot. Honestly, the rims did not look bad, The only thing holding the rim together was the 8 coats of paint I had put on them.

I had made a quality repair on both rear rims on the original restore in 1975. The drop centers were very thin, but the bead seats looked good. I had a piece of 3/16 plate cut and rolled at the plant, they called this gov't work and was okay as an added benefit by management if it was not abused. I strapped both rear rims with the plate and cinched it up with a come along until I could butt weld the ends. Then did a full weld on both sides of the rim until the full circumference was welded. Then split the middle and hammered it down to create a depression to mount the tire. Finally welded the split up to make the rim complete. Finally spent the next 3 days grinding and buffing the welds smooth so no tube damage would occur. Very proud of the DIY rim repair. Sadly, a repair is just that, a repair. I should have not expected the repair to last forever, but 45 years ain't half bad.

I did have enough sense to take the other tire off and break it down for inspection. It was in a similar condition, but not quite as bad as the left. Maybe would have gone another year or two.

So 2 new rims and 1 new tire. Over $1100 incl tubes and freight. Could not afford a second tire as I had lost a 13.6x38 on the 4000, which was $1500 with tube, freight and ballast. Not a good year for tires.

Well, both tractors back in operation, but dead broke. Good thing the virus curbed eating out and I don't have to dodge that bullet with the other half. Still catching it for buying the second tractor over a year ago, even though I use each 2-3 days a week,every week. Each has their own purpose. The point is, inspect your tires and rims regularly and expect the unexpected when operating a tractor. Leave an out if possible.

I don't see any mention of using that evil metal eating salty stuff some people rave about for filling tires, but that seems it could have been the issue here.

/ Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading #6  
Some was looking over you thank goodness your okay.

/ Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading #7  
I don't see any mention of using that evil metal eating salty stuff some people rave about for filling tires, but that seems it could have been the issue here.

Thank you for taking the time to translate. An NAA is older than I am and it's been setting outside for all or most of that time, so it probably doesn't need any assistance to wear out.

/ Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading #9  
That wondrous liquid fill calcium chloride,
doesn't take much just a db here and there while checking tire pressure or adding a bit of air.
Cheapest weight but not the nicest.

/ Catastrophic Rear Failure While Grading #10  
My first tractor - Ford 4WD 1700 had CaCl in the rear tires from the day I bought it new - 1982. Still had that nasty stuff the day I traded it - 2009. It got to the point that the valve stems dripped and I had to replace the inner cores every year. No doubt why the rims failed. The salt solution did a real job.