Caught a SKUNK

/ Caught a SKUNK #21  
No skunks yet this year, but the last five years we've had them around the house, especially at the bird feeder, at night. And two years ago, we had a family of them behind the plywood kick boards in the riding arena. It caused quite a commotion when the babies waddled out into the sand while a boarder was riding her horse.

But I just put out the live-capture trap with canned cat food and I'll get them caught. I leave them caged all night, and in the early morning hours just before dawn, I walk out with a blanket and throw it on top of the cage. The critter hardly moves, but you can see where it has torn up the ground underneath the trap.

The blanket covers all sides, and I grope for the trap handle on top and grab it, through the blanket (no hole in the blanket) and pick up the trap and put it in the bed of the pickup. I drive it across the river bridge and set the trap out in the woods a little ways and use a stick to prop the door open. Then I get in the truck and wait and in about a minute or two it comes waddling out and moves pretty much in a straight line out of the cage away from me and the truck. I pick up the cage and head home. I've done this about six or seven times and its always the same, and there's no smell (KOW).

I don't want to kill anything unless I've got a good reason to, like woodchucks.

Pete

/ Caught a SKUNK #22  
OK I went over this thread yesterday and all the while I kept thinking about the skunk that has been giving my wife the scare for over a year now out in the barn. We do have 2 barn cats. Well I went out last night to bust a round bail and when I round the corner on the tractor there the little bugger is, in the middle of the drive way. I dont think anyone in history has ever found the "R" so fast. I backed off a ways just to watch this thing and every 4 or 5 steps he would fall over like he was dead. After about the 3rd time he did this I made up my mind to shoot the thing. I had a choice of the 12,20 or 4-10 so I got the 4-10 out and couldnt find the shells for it so the 20ga had to work. I got within 15 foot and killed him with one lucky shot to the head. Put him in the FEL and buried him at the back of the pasture. This thing was sick but he wasnt foaming at the mouth like they say they do. Wifes happy now though.

/ Caught a SKUNK #23  
Rabies is bad around here as well in Coons , opposums & Skunks , Mainly from what I,m told because They cross Paths Quite Often & can infect Each other By even Sharing the same food source , Which Is darn near Anything . :eek:

If a Critter Looks sick or Unhealthy, Disoriented . They Most Likelly have rabies . The Foaming of the mouth as I understand is late in the stage of the disease . Also I was Told if You see any of the 3 roaming around in the daylight hours thats a Pretty good sign there Infected . as They are Mostlly Night wanderers . :D .

I Those Cases Ours Seem to Die from lead Poisoning ( 40 Cal Rifle ) rather Quicklly , then Disposed of in a heavy plastic bag & Buried at least a couple of feet deep, as not to infect Anything else :D . Just what Works out here .

/ Caught a SKUNK #24  
For what it's worth, I'm in the middle of taking the Wisconsin Trapping course, similar to Hunters Saftey... Skunks can live a healthy life while carrying rabies. The suggested method of dispatch is to stand upwind and shoot them in the chest. As rabies is a "nerve" disease, shooting them in the head can spread the virus, and it can become airborne, thus the stand upwind and chest shot directions.

Last edited:
   / Caught a SKUNK #25  
We had a real problem last year. Skunks moved in under our barn and got into some sort of turf war with the neighbor's cats. About twice a week they'd spray under there till everything in our house smelled of skunk. My wife was nearly in hysterics, threatening to move into her sister's house. So.... I stated trapping them. I figured one, maybe two. I got five skunks in eleven days...... the sixth about a week later. I used a sheet to toss over the trap. Two out of the six sprayed under the sheet :mad:, and ALL of them released their scent gland when they died :(.

You nature lovin' guys who like skunks living around your house..... all the more power to ya ! Not here...... I intend to stay married.

/ Caught a SKUNK #26  
... our dogs have been getting sprayed on a regular basis...

You'd think they'd learn after a time or two.....but some dogs just seem to like trouble.

Skunks have no natural enemies, so they are not aggressive unless they're provoked.

Actually, owls love a tasty skunk.

One more thing. If skunks are so bad, why do we keep electing them to office? ;)

/ Caught a SKUNK #27  
Hi.................... I'm really friendly, why not invite me in??

Attachments

• Smith Farm 015.jpg
    Smith Farm 015.jpg
    772.1 KB · Views: 87
  • Smith Farm 016.jpg
    Smith Farm 016.jpg
    675.1 KB · Views: 79
   / Caught a SKUNK
I just don't learn I suppose. Why I didn't at least tie a rope to the trap as was suggested by someone.....anyway, the hole under the porch was opened up again. It looked like whatever dug it had come out, because there was no dirt scattered around the outside of the hole. Bright guy that I am, I filled in the hole again and put my other trap right on top of it. So now I've got another skunk in a trap, but this time there's no corner to sneak around to get close. It's right by the front door, and I've got a UPS delivery coming today. And it's raining.

A buddy gave me a recipe for skunk spray removal. One part each of dish detergent, baking soda and peroxide. He says he had to wash his dogs when they got sprayed and this mix took all the smell off. I've got all the ingredients set out in case I'm not as lucky this time. Of course the tarp is down in the barn and the grass is knee high because I haven't been able to mow due to rain. Tomorrow is PowerBall draw day. I believe in a kind of karma balance. Time to buy some tickets.

Chuck

/ Caught a SKUNK #29  
One other trick I've heard Chuck, is to spray the skunk with a hose. When they're cold from the water they can't spray. Disclaimer: I've never tried, nor seen this trick in use so proceed at your own risk.

Maybe you could wet him down then get the blanket over him?