Caught an Intruder

/ Caught an Intruder #161  
I would not actually use that kind of sign and only posted them in jest. For that matter, shooting an intruder would be my very last course of action, which is why I'm going to such great lengths to secure the perimeter, thus giving myself more time (advanced warning) so I'm hopefully not forced to make that fateful decision.

My security plans could be summed up in the following order...

1. Deter
2. Detect
3. Document
4. Defend

I thought so, I just wanted to throw that out in case it would help you or others.

/ Caught an Intruder #162  
My security plans could be summed up in the following order...

1. Deter
2. Detect
3. Document
4. Defend

Then your property will be "Four-D-fied."

Bruce

/ Caught an Intruder #164  
I have these

Attachments

• private-property-if-you-can-read-this-you-are-within-range-500x350.jpg
    private-property-if-you-can-read-this-you-are-within-range-500x350.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 69
   / Caught an Intruder #165  
If you think someone is in the neighborhood casing you, set up a shooting range and shoot often and at odd times. NO ONE walks onto a piece of property where it's both posted and there is frequent shooting. I get along well with my neighbor, and we both shoot, but he fires at all hours and I'd never even dare to walk in the woods for fear of being accidentally shot.

/ Caught an Intruder #166  
Sounds like your neighbor doesn't have a regular range/place where he shoots. Does he just walk into the woods at any point and let em rip?

Around here there's lots of shooting and you know where you can and can't go without eyes in the back of your head.

/ Caught an Intruder #168  
Sounds like you don't have any dogs?
If not get a couple......they'll give you a excellent early warning of intruders.

You said you have dogs but they didn't detect anything. I don't know what type they are but my wife and I have always had Chesapeake Bay Retrievers (CBR). You talk about a great dog to protect you and your property, they are unmatched.

They have a photographic memory of their property. If we have a car not parked in the normal spot they go on alert as to something not being right. Their sense of smell is such they will smell something before it shows up.

They stick by your side at all times. Even in the house they will follow you room to room, you are never without protection. They range in size from 75 to 90 pounds of pure muscle with a lip curl that would rival a Grizzly. They don't like strangers. Loyal, loving and great around children.

Here is an example of the protection I speak of. CBR.jpgCBR.jpg

/ Caught an Intruder #169  
Most people can't manage a trained protection dog. They are not easy or inexpensive to come by. They are also a great liability. A big untrained dog may or may not protect you. An alert terrier will bark and warn of anything abnormal.That's my vote.

That's a valid point.

A feisty terrier would work to alert you and they can be fierce ankle biters.

I don't know what is considered "big" for a dog, but I would say 50 pounds and up will be a decent deterrent. When faced with a barking, growling dog, people don't know if the dog will attack them or not. Sort of like a sign that says there is a camera watching you--maybe, maybe not. Anything that adds to an intruders perception of risk is in your favor. A dog barking its head off is a message that an attempt at stealth or concealment has failed, increasing an intruders perception of risk.

The OP and his wife went through some commotion in their reaction to the intruder. Most dogs would key on that emotion and unusual behavior and become alerted and active. If the OP's dogs didn't, he needs to add to his "pack" if dogs are to be a part of his system.

/ Caught an Intruder #170  
dogs are good until someones kid runs off and meets the guard dogs