Cedar tree extraction in Texas?

/ Cedar tree extraction in Texas? #12  
You can come and get all you want from here, free. :laughing:

/ Cedar tree extraction in Texas? #13  
Haha! I guess you don't like cedar trees?

I’ll let you be the judge?

Burn pile #1

IMG_1755.jpg

IMG_1765.jpg

Burn pile #2

IMG_1760.jpg

/ Cedar tree extraction in Texas? #14  
I pull them with the Long Arm puller. No way I would replant them. This one was 24' tall:

P4090021.JPG

P5060067.JPG

/ Cedar tree extraction in Texas? #15  
Nothing will grow under the cedars we have and they sprout up everywhere. I like a few, but they proliferate to much and it's a constant battle to control them.

/ Cedar tree extraction in Texas? #16  
I would say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". A stand on our family farm has yielded hundereds of fence post and shed poles plus produced several thousand dollars in saw logs during the past century. Every few years I follow the practice of dad and granddad by marking trees to sell on the stump. We have built furniture and lined countless closets with lumber from those trees. I planted a few as specimens several years ago on my kids places and people often pay compliments on them now. Every year when I pruned their orchards,I removed lower limbs from cedar. They now have smooth 8-10 foot trunks like pine trees. The key to growing saw logs is to plant amoungest established hardwoods so that they reach for sunlight and shed bottom limbs as they grow. Mom insisted on having a cedar Christmas tree. So there's no confusion,these are Juniperus virginiana,that are abundant in East Texas and commonly called Eastern Red Cedar,Airomatic Cedar,Pencil Cedar and other names. Another native tree that is overlooked in landscaping is Persimmon. They only suffer from one pest(web worm) and grow under conditions many trees can't survive,much less prosper in.

/ Cedar tree extraction in Texas? #17  
..........Another native tree that is overlooked in landscaping is Persimmon. They only suffer from one pest(web worm) and grow under conditions many trees can't survive,much less prosper in.

What good have you found for persimmon? We had a few that thrived for over 50 years I know about then finally they all died. Now quite a few new ones have grown up in the place of the old ones. I’ve been thinking about clearing them out. Other than fruit, which I don’t particularly like, what good are they?

/ Cedar tree extraction in Texas? #18  
   / Cedar tree extraction in Texas?
I would say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". A stand on our family farm has yielded hundereds of fence post and shed poles plus produced several thousand dollars in saw logs during the past century. Every few years I follow the practice of dad and granddad by marking trees to sell on the stump. We have built furniture and lined countless closets with lumber from those trees. I planted a few as specimens several years ago on my kids places and people often pay compliments on them now. Every year when I pruned their orchards,I removed lower limbs from cedar. They now have smooth 8-10 foot trunks like pine trees. The key to growing saw logs is to plant amoungest established hardwoods so that they reach for sunlight and shed bottom limbs as they grow. Mom insisted on having a cedar Christmas tree. So there's no confusion,these are Juniperus virginiana,that are abundant in East Texas and commonly called Eastern Red Cedar,Airomatic Cedar,Pencil Cedar and other names. Another native tree that is overlooked in landscaping is Persimmon. They only suffer from one pest(web worm) and grow under conditions many trees can't survive,much less prosper in.

Yes, when I cut cedars down I use them as post. We built a pavilion (70x40) using cedars from the property for post.

/ Cedar tree extraction in Texas? #20  
I definitely agree with pulling the cedar tree up but I hate to see good cedar posts burned up.

I have original cedar here on the farm. Got to be close to 100 years old. Hard, looks great. Would make an excellent something. Every once in a while in the back forty we find some posts. Still usable. Some of them with barbed wire still attached.