central arkansas iced in!

/ central arkansas iced in! #1  

jimmoore

Platinum Member
Tractor
05 CASE IH D35 W/FEL
Thick coat of ice everywhere this morning! no school today. goody goody. Bird, are you near dallas? i see they are also iced in.

/ central arkansas iced in! #2  
Jim,
It's the same in NW AR. We have about 5" of snow and it has been sleeting for about two hours now. The tractor started fine. But there was a problem.....When I would try to put it in gear it would die. Found out that the neutral safty switch on the shifter, had went out of adjustment. Got that fixed. I quess that I can blade the farm for the 18 wheelers to bring my chicken feed now.
JerryG

/ central arkansas iced in! #3  
Jim, the "ice storm" didn't start here until after 11 p.m. last night, then our electricity went off for five and half hours starting about 3:45 a.m. However, we're lucky that it's warmer (26 to 28 degrees) than the high ever got to yesterday, so it looks like our local roads are not in bad shape.

Bird

/ central arkansas iced in! #4  
Ice in South Texas too. Some Schools closed, some delayed two hours. Highways thru San Antonio were closed, rush hour a mess. Lost power for about two hours early this am. I've got broken off mesquite limbs laying everywhere. Better go reread that section on chainsaw blades.

ErnieB
"We were surrounded by some gross, proud, and victorious men. Anyone who knows the character of the North Americans can judge what our situation must have been."
Jose Juan Sanchez Navarro

/ central arkansas iced in! #5  
Nothing to do with ice but I would like to compliment your law enforcement officers on their powers of observation. Two of our bad boys killed three people about 30 miles away from me here in west central Vt. and lit out with a stolen car. They switched plates in Penn. and were headed west when an officer in Clarksville decided that he didn't like the way they looked at him as they were going by. He ran the plates, discovered they were stolen and pulled them over. They had a confession to the three murders before we were even sure a crime had been committed. The only thing our officers were looking into was a misssing persons report on a woman who didn't show up for work {they had snatched her and her car and killed her in N.Y.}. Your cops were able to tell them where to look for her body and also about the two people that were killed in a house. This all occurred within 3 days of the killings. Anyway, I just wanted to say, well done. Dave.

/ central arkansas iced in! #6  
ErnieB, sounds like it got worse farther south (which has happened in the past). About noon, we had just a very brief spell of sunshine and icicles dropped everywhere; fast thaw. After the thaw, my rain gauge had about .38" in it, but fortunately the only limbs I have down are small ones off that big Sycamore that drops a few every time a breeze comes up.

Dave, glad to hear the good guys in Clarksville scored./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Just sorry to hear about 3 more murders anywhere.

Bird<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Bird on 12/13/00 04:31 PM.</FONT></P>

/ central arkansas iced in! #7  
Is this what it looks like around your place?
See attached picture.
Gordon

/ central arkansas iced in! #8  
Actually, no, Gordon. The ground wasn't quite that white; you could still see the blades of grass; it was just like each blade was heavily coated with ice. And instead of evergreens, I have pecan, oak, sycamore, plum, hackberry, chinaberry, fruitless mulberry, and a couple of unidentified trees in the yard. Nearly all the leaves are gone so it was just wood all coated with ice, as were the overhead power wires, fences, etc. I guess that picture wouldn't look too much different from the Corps of Engineers land across the road - almost solid cedars. The temperature never quite made it to 32, but the sun came out for a very brief time. The ice fell off the barbed wire fences first and it looked like it was raining under all the trees it was dripping so fast along with the small pieces of ice falling. The good news is that it's supposed to be back in the 50s tomorrow./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ central arkansas iced in!
Well, just now back on line. The internet has been out here for the last 3 days.My place has been totally devastated by the ice. I will prob loose 2 pecan trees. a large pin oak by the barn broke off about 10 feet up and a big sycamore was root wadded and smashed a chicken coop. Woodruff county looks like a tornado went throgh with all the downed trees and limbs. it continued a slow freezing rain all day the first day and every thing had about a 3/4 inch build up of ice. I will get it all cleaned up about the first of August. Ol Blue and the little green Poulan have their job cut out for them. Some people out in the rural areas still have no power or water. jim

/ central arkansas iced in! #10  
Jim, I wasn't too happy being without power for five and a half hours (sure glad my wife filled a couple of Thermos bottles with coffee the night before) and having to pick up a few little limbs out of the yard yesterday, but it didn't take long for me to realize how lucky I was compared to a lot of you folks./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird