Central Boiler Dual Fuel

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #1  

marhar

Gold Member
Tractor
Farm Trac 60
Does anyone have any experience with a central boiler duel fuel?

I am thinking about getting one. If I do I am thinking about placing it in a non-climate controlled brick garage that sits away from the home. I want to be able to stay dry while filling the stove. I also want to run the exhaust up a chimney.

I want to be able to use the gas to start the fire and I also know that as I get older wood may be harder to cut wood and I may not have a season's worth of wood cut.

The home is two story with a basement. I want to heat the home and the water. Any advice and experience is appreciated.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #2  
My only two cents is think about the prevailing winds for smoke, and think about a boiler with forced air designed in (tends to have more complete combustion, i.e. less smoke).

All the best,

Peter

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #3  
Not sure on the newer style stoves per EPA rquirements. But my CB #5036 smokes out the door every time you open it. Even if I crack it for a few minutes. I had it in a single car sized garage (no car in it), and everything had a smoke oder on/in it. When we moved from that place, I took the stove with me. I did not want to be resposible for a new user. Items in the open attic space were covered with smoke dust/soot. New house has it outside away from the house. Wood is under shed roof. Much better system, wood dry, smoke outside. Jon

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #4  
I think the fire box will be large in relation to the job of heating water in the summer. Consider a on-demand water heater for use during months you are not using the boiler. You can divert water to and from the 'on demand', doing so seasonally.
There are all kinds of spec's on elevation of a chimney in relation to roofs nearby. It's not just extend beyond the garage roof.
Be sure to use a double, or even triple wall stove pipe, with a clean-out port at the bottom.
Consider a fan assist for the smoke in the chimney. Help to get it up and out, without backing up into the garage. Once the fire is going, and smoke rising on it's own after it's heated the chimney, you can turn off the fan.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #6  
Considering where NG and propane is going, might not be a bad idea.
Propane up to $4.10 per gallon yesterday. Glad we only cook, heat water and dry clothes with it.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #8  
I have had two dual fuel boilers, Tarm and Woodgun. On those two boilers the gas and wood are separate and you could not use the natural gas to start the wood. The Tarm boiler would automatically switch over to gas, the Woodgun does not.

I had the water heater loop in the Tarm but it was not that effective. On that furnace the loop was in the water in the boiler. The boiler water was maintained at about 140. The first bit of water would be 140, but then it dropped down to around room temperature. My water was very cold, so there was some benefit but I don't think you could depend on it for a hot shower.

Doug in SW IA

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #9  
Does anyone have any experience with a central boiler duel fuel?

I am thinking about getting one. If I do I am thinking about placing it in a non-climate controlled brick garage that sits away from the home. I want to be able to stay dry while filling the stove. I also want to run the exhaust up a chimney.

I want to be able to use the gas to start the fire and I also know that as I get older wood may be harder to cut wood and I may not have a season's worth of wood cut.

The home is two story with a basement. I want to heat the home and the water. Any advice and experience is appreciated.
I have a Central Boiler duel fuel outside wood burner which I have had for 15 + years. I would not recommend putting it in an enclosed area like a garage. I have mine under a roof where I keep it and the firewood. It does let out smoke when you open the door to fill it, not all the time but quite often. If you are planning on using an existing chimney it probably will not work that well as the chimney needs to be a certain size to work well. I don't believe you can buy the duel fuel new anymore at least here in Pa. I use the natural gas to start the wood sometimes and use the gas to heat if the wood supply gets low, both heat the house well. We have radiant floor hear and cast iron hot water baseboard in the house, very nice even heat.

/ Central Boiler Dual Fuel #10  
I use a relatively quiet dust extractor from Festool.