Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One???

/ Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One??? #1  

leeave96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wheelhorse 520H & 314-8
Thinking about putting up a 30' wide x 41' long and 12' high certified carport for 130 mph wind and 30 lb snow load. Roof, gables and sides are vertical sheet metal. Long sides are closed, ends are open (except for gables).

Anyone have a certified carport? How is it anchored, i.e. anchored to a concrete slab (how thick) or via mobile home anchors (how long) ?

How'd the carport survive high winds, snow and ice?

Thanks!!!!

/ Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One??? #2  
I have a 24x40x10 certified building and I like it a lot, I wish I would have gone with 12ft tall. mine is fully enclosed with 3 garage doors, 2 windows and a walk in door. It was the best bang for my buck since everyone I contacted to build me the same size building in the traditional metal frame wanted $10k more. I am going to be getting another one in the next year or 2 to use for equipment storage.

/ Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One??? #3  
My buddy just had one installed. Set it on his 4” slab (driveway) and they used good old wedge style anchor bolts- I don’t recall if they are 1/2” or something close to that. He has a similar setup but only covered one side (south). He is happy with it.

/ Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One??? #4  
The "certified" carport is "certified" as to what. Isn't it built to the local building codes.

/ Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One??? #6  
What is this "30 lb snow load" exactly? Are we talking 30 lb per foot of span, 30 lb over the entire roof, or what? 30 lb per foot of span sounds good, but 30 lbs over entire roof, well may as well not even put that up in these parts. It'll be down with the first snow.

/ Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One??? #7  
What is this "30 lb snow load" exactly? Are we talking 30 lb per foot of span, 30 lb over the entire roof, or what? 30 lb per foot of span sounds good, but 30 lbs over entire roof, well may as well not even put that up in these parts. It'll be down with the first snow.
Generally speaking, those ratings are pounds per square foot. Not sure of the exact manufacturer that the original poster is looking at, but the ones I've looked at all pounds per square foot.

Aaron Z

/ Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One???

30 lbs per sq ft

/ Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One??? #9  
I have used 3 made by Caroline Carports. They list the gauge steel framing, roof style, extra support braces and the codes for snow load and wind resistance. From all that I searched before buying they had the most bang for the buck in quality, strength and onsite construction. They serve a huge area and also build all components themselves. I have a 20X50, 30ft enclosed with 3 rollup doors and 20ft on front of carport, all seamless construction. They use concrete anchors or use long bolts unto other materials.

/ Certified Metal Carport - Anyone Have One??? #10  
If you search for Carolina Carports or other car ports they seem to be dealers who get all their car ports from one supplier. The install crew is important. We have a Carolina Carport we bought it off ebay. I wish I went taller but it was what we could afford at the time. The crew had it built in a few hours. Make sure you run a magnet over the area when they are done. Found a lot of screws once they left.