CG2410tlb steering column issue

/ CG2410tlb steering column issue #1  

Toddao

Gold Member
Tractor
GC2410TLB
Has anyone had a problem with a lose steering wheel due to using it as a grab handle to help get on the tractor? It was repaired under warranty by my dealer, but it hard to remember not to Grab it as I get on. It felt as if it had tilt steering you could move the column 1/2 - 3/4" , no effect on operation but felt lose. The are no real grab handles to use. Has anyone added any?
The steering column issue happen with about 45 hours on the tractor

/ CG2410tlb steering column issue #2  
There is a thread about this, you should be able to use the search feature to find it.

You just need to use your legs, instead of your arms. You can grab the wheel for balance, just don't pull on it.

If you have a physical issue that would require a grab handle, no one I know of, has found a place to put one.

/ CG2410tlb steering column issue #3  
Toddao- Ray's right, there was a lengthy discussion of that problem; apparently the hydraulic valves inside the column for operating the power steering don't like lateral loads much at all... but, don't the 2400/2600-series tractors have grab handles that earlier versions didn't? I haven't used them, so I don't know how effective they are, but have often wished I had some!

If you're not already doing this, it might also help to use one side only to get on & off, whichever is the most open. On the 2300 series, it's definitely the left side.

/ CG2410tlb steering column issue
I am much more careful now. Wanted to know if this was a issue caused my me or a product defect. Come to think about they did fix it but I don't know what they actually repaired? It did find the link thank you. There are 2 grab handles on the fenders but they are better for holding on when you are seated already then climbing on

/ CG2410tlb steering column issue #5  
It is not a defect. I have fixed steering columns in trucks and vans, (mostly Dodge), from people doing the exact same thing.

They could have built it stronger, along with about ten other things. As well as they could have put better headlights on it, etc. Then, it's a tank, it gets real heavy, and costs too much.

I own a Toro Reelmaster fairway mower, that has hydraulic steering just like this. You could tie a rope to the steering wheel, and use it to tow it down the road, and you will not hurt it. It also cost $29,000, in 1992.

Where I believe they have failed, is they should post warnings, not to pull on the wheel, now that this is a known problem. To my knowledge, they still do not.

Last edited:
   / CG2410tlb steering column issue #6  
Has anyone had a problem with a lose steering wheel due to using it as a grab handle to help get on the tractor? It was repaired under warranty by my dealer, but it hard to remember not to Grab it as I get on. It felt as if it had tilt steering you could move the column 1/2 - 3/4" , no effect on operation but felt lose. The are no real grab handles to use. Has anyone added any?
The steering column issue happen with about 45 hours on the tractor

I learned this lesson the hard way on my then new 1990 Ford Pickup. I also learned not to lean on the door's arm rest and not to push my back against the seat to centre myself in the seat. All these will not stand up to it for long.

/ CG2410tlb steering column issue #7  
Mine started as the 'tilt wheel' you described, then started leaking oil. The dealer fixed it under waranty, but also told me it was a one time fix and wouldn't be covered a second time. They replaced the hydraulic 'motor' that controls the steering, as well as the four rubber bushings used to mount it.
Now I reach in and grab the wheel, but then remember I'm not sposed to do that, and grunt in without pulling on the wheel. It certainly is the most convenient handle.
I also took the spinner off my steering wheel. I think it contributed to lateral loading, and I don't miss it now that it's gone.

/ CG2410tlb steering column issue #8  
I typically grab the seat, or the ROPS to get on. Depending how I am parked. I have never grabbed the wheel because of what I read on here about it being very weak.