Chains Chain clearance on TC 26 (or 23) DA

/ Chain clearance on TC 26 (or 23) DA #1  

MiserableOldFart

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 40, Kubota GR2120
Hi all,

Last year I put chains on the front wheels of my TC26DA and they helped a lot in the snow. I would like to add a set on the rears, but I'm concerned about clearances. Anyone out there have rear chains on 26 or 23? Do they clear the fenders and the hardware ok?

Last winter was an interesting one here. It was warmer than normal, and we only had one real snowstorm. Unfortunately, that one storm was a four footer.

/ Chain clearance on TC 26 (or 23) DA #2  
Do you have the set up for a mmm? I'm in the same boat. I don't think I would have any problems if it wasn't for the mower linkage. There's certainly not room for any slop in the chains. Is anybody running chains w/ mower linkage on a smaller TC?

/ Chain clearance on TC 26 (or 23) DA #3  
Some years ago, my NH dealer was carrying a line of low-profile chains. The links were very small, and the wire from which the links were made had a square cross section. It was also a special alloy of steel to help improve the wear life. The links were small, but he said it was surprising how noticeable the difference in traction was. (He thought the square cross section might help with that... gave it some "edge" to bite on the ice.) They stocked these specifically to address tight clearance issues on some tractors.

/ Chain clearance on TC 26 (or 23) DA #4  
yes they clear had them for 1 season turf tires tc 26 lol i just sold them two weeks ago they were driving me nuts always in the way $100.00, i think they were really expensive new bought them from dealer i loved that little tractor just to small for amount of mowing and snow removal had to trade up. take care

Attachments

• tc26.jpg
    tc26.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 232
   / Chain clearance on TC 26 (or 23) DA
Thanks for the info, folks. I have seen low profile chains for clearance issues, but only for cars. Next time I'm at the dealer, I'll ask him if he carries anything like that. The chains I was looking at were like $400 at tirechains.com. They look to be very high quality, but the clearance is a concern.

Just got a pair of chains for my DR Powerwagon that don't clear. Going to have to do some kind of modification on the inside chain on each tire, perhaps figure a way to replace the chain with a cable or one with smaller links. I'll figure out something for that, but of course, the stresses on that chain are very light, so I can get away with stuff I couldn't on the tractor.

Obsessed, no I have no mid mount mower on the tractor. There is a mid PTO, but that's it.

Wow, Radium, I can see why there might be an issue with clearance with the mid mount mower. I have the R4's and the issue appears to be on the inside of the tires. Well, I'm deep enough into the winter so that I'll probably go with what I have for now. I have looked at the studs that you put in the tires, too, forget what they're called. They are interesting, but a little scary as far as clearances within the tires.

The 26 is about as big as I dare go here for cutting grass. When the ground is wet it leaves some pretty serious marks with the R4's, and the ground is wet until about the Fourth of July most years. I don't think anyone around here outside of maybe golf courses in the valley use turfs - the ground is too uneven. It has plenty of power for using the loader and backblade for snow, but I have no idea how it would perform with a blower. Might find out someday. I plow two driveways, about 200 feet each and a quarter mile of dirt road. The four foot storm last year was a bit of a challenge, lol.

Been thinking about maybe someday picking up an older used bigger tractor for big stuff like snow. But there really is a limit to the number of toys I can actually use lol..

/ Chain clearance on TC 26 (or 23) DA #8  
The turf tires went extremely well on the wet farm never had issues getting stuck. As far as the front snowblower goes you couldn't stop that little Billy goat :), to tell you the truth it through snow further than my present set up today, it was more the mowing aspect why I traded up and just didn't keep her. by the way that picture is the tractor awaiting the dealer I figured it was just easier for him to load on the truck with everything hooked up you never snow blow with the mower on take care

/ Chain clearance on TC 26 (or 23) DA #9  
Hi all,

Last year I put chains on the front wheels of my TC26DA and they helped a lot in the snow. I would like to add a set on the rears, but I'm concerned about clearances. Anyone out there have rear chains on 26 or 23? Do they clear the fenders and the hardware ok?

Last winter was an interesting one here. It was warmer than normal, and we only had one real snowstorm. Unfortunately, that one storm was a four footer.

Best handle on TBN by far!:thumbsup:

Radium.. that's right, you need the front PTO for the front blower.. forgot. I've mainly thought about 3 pt. blowers, because I would like to have the loader to use with it, but I'm not quite sure my old body could handle all that twisting to operate the thing..

Check, Thanks! :laughing: