Chain Link Fence Advice

/ Chain Link Fence Advice
I didn't know that there was a Home Depot in Hayward. I'm really sad that Orchard Supply has gotten bad too. That was my safe place to shop. Of course, they where quickly disappearing and like everyone else, we drove over the hill to do most of our shopping when I lived there.

Here in Tyler, I don't know of anybody that empties their tools out of the back of their trucks to go to the store. I can have thousands of dollars in tools in the back of my truck, and I have no worries going to Walmart, a grocery store, Dollar Store, Home Depot or Lowes. Usually when I park, the truck next to me has just as many tools in the back of their truck as I do. At night, the stores don't even pull everything inside. Walmart has areas of the parking lot with cinder blocks as posts and a single landscaping log as the fence. When they close at night, everything just sits out there all night long.

Looks like I can go through the motion of putting up new heavy fabric but don't expect it to do much.

I have been fishing steel bars through the fabric horizontally... but only when repairing a breach.

Eddie... you have a good memory... even from far away! Home Depot Hayward is at the airport.

I liked Orchard Supply... in several Western States since 1931... Lowes bought them and then closed.

A company related to Menards has reopened some of the old OSH stores and still uses OSH... no longer Orchard Supply Hardware but Outdoor Supply Hardward... they don't have the selection of the old OSH.

Often hard to know what you don't know.

It's like another world when I visit Washington State... the banks and post offices are not shielded with walls of Plexi... stores leave merchandise out at night... you can fill up and then pay for gas... don't see homes with burglar bars, etc...

Sideshows are increasing... all the task forces have not made a dent... hear the cars often with motors gunned and smoke... sound really carries... some gatherings number several hundred VEHICLES with with hundreds more spectators... police seldom venture in...

Sideshows: The Birth of Oakland'''s Hyphy Culture | KQED

Illegal sideshow leads to fatal Bay Bridge crash: police | KRON4

Hundreds Gather At Illegal Oakland Sideshows In Violation Of Shelter-In-Place; 3 Arrested - YouTube

Then there are the porch pirates... and SF is the leading smash and grab in the U.S.

The ideal place to me is simple... a place where people respect one another and pick up after themselves...

Huge crime increase tied to early release and/or suspending sentencing of thousands of repeat offenders... saying stealing a car should not be a death sentence meaning Covid is rampant in the jails so jail isn't an option.

Last edited:
   / Chain Link Fence Advice #22  
You might be underestimating how serious law enforcement take's property crime. As we speak there's an all hands on deck search for thieves who stole Nancy's gavel. :rolleyes:

/ Chain Link Fence Advice #24  
The good ole days. Now if you hurt somebody steeling from you, odds are good that you will go to jail and the thief will own your house.

If that's the way it works here. I'll serve my time. I will protect what I have at all cost.
I hope they can make room for me LOL.

I confronted a couple with an AR in hand at my drive entrance a few months back.
I let them know if they were looking for trouble, they just found it...

They were from another city some 50 miles away. You just don't happen up at my drive from that city

/ Chain Link Fence Advice
A popular modus operandi is to show up at someone's home and when asked feigning to be lost or here to see a friend... great cover.

Once door is open vulnerability increases.

/ Chain Link Fence Advice #26  
I didn't initially read this thread, because I don't have much knowledge or interest in chain link fences.

This is just sad, and I don't see much of a solution. Your community has the resources to solve the problem, but it seems to lack the motivation. A barking dog is a problem, but breaking and entering is just stuff. If the community demanded a reassessment of priorities and leaders started losing their jobs, things would change. The alternatives I see are to accept it or move to a more like-minded community.

I will say that I view personal security as a personal responsibility. Here in rural Ohio, we don't have that much crime, but I have no expectation that a police officer will be around when I need one. If I face a bad guy it's up to me to deal with it, at least initially.

It is VERY rare for a stranger to come and knock on my door. I will still answer it, if things don't appear suspicious (which they never really have). I also carry a concealed firearm at all times. If an intruder were to attack me in my own home, someone is probably going to die. I'm not willing to submit and hope that they just want to take some stuff.

I wish you well in whatever path you choose. There doesn't appear to be a simple solution.

/ Chain Link Fence Advice #27  
Buddy runs a storage facility.
Lots of cameras, chain link fencing and powered gates coded and timed lock out after hours.
The perps hot wired a stored pick up and drove it thru the electric gate to escape.
Cost him $3,500, to replace the gate.

The perps were caught by LEO's when they were stopped for driving a damaged vehicle.
No restitution was possible as the perps were escaped juvenile detainees.
Seems they were 'joy riding'.

Naturally cameras never captured a clear pix of their faces.

/ Chain Link Fence Advice #28  
I didn't initially read this thread, because I don't have much knowledge or interest in chain link fences.

This is just sad, and I don't see much of a solution. Your community has the resources to solve the problem, but it seems to lack the motivation. A barking dog is a problem, but breaking and entering is just stuff. If the community demanded a reassessment of priorities and leaders started losing their jobs, things would change. The alternatives I see are to accept it or move to a more like-minded community.

I will say that I view personal security as a personal responsibility. Here in rural Ohio, we don't have that much crime, but I have no expectation that a police officer will be around when I need one. If I face a bad guy it's up to me to deal with it, at least initially.

It is VERY rare for a stranger to come and knock on my door. I will still answer it, if things don't appear suspicious (which they never really have). I also carry a concealed firearm at all times. If an intruder were to attack me in my own home, someone is probably going to die. I'm not willing to submit and hope that they just want to take some stuff.

I wish you well in whatever path you choose. There doesn't appear to be a simple solution.

This!! And I will add that the person that's going to die won't be me. And when the person dies, he or she will have just disappeared never to be seen again. A criminal ain't worth the legal hassle. I live down a 1500 foot drive. If you come to my door, you aren't lost, you have lost your mind. I know when someone is coming well before they get here. When we built our house and moved back here my wife wanted security lighting 24/7. I told her we weren't lighting things up to make it easy for a thief. She now knows what I was trying to teach her. God bless you if you come here and I'm not home. She's worse than me.

/ Chain Link Fence Advice #29  
As far as the fence issue I would be tempted to add some highly stretched high quality barbed wire.
When that gets cut it has a mind of it's own and just maybe a 100 mile fencer attached to it.

/ Chain Link Fence Advice #30  
pointy toed cowboy boots make great fence climbers...just sayin... :D