Chain link fence

/ Chain link fence #1  

dj1701

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320, Kubota BX2680
Hi all,

I have 6 dogs and a small area in back of the house for them to do their business.
They can't really run around much, nor can they follow me around when I'm doing things outside.

I have 13 acres with 2 ponds. I would like to fence in an area much larger than what they have now.
Is chain link the way to go? that's what I have now.

Not sure about the linear feet yet, just getting some ideas.

I just want the posts pounded in not cemented.

Thanks
Dave

/ Chain link fence #2  
Of course chain link would do the job. If you're going big some kind of filed fencing on a roll would probably be much less expensive. The type of dog you have and whether they jump would have a bearing in how tall the fence needs to be. I'm on ten acres and only fenced it for the horses. I've not had a dog that wouldn't come when called.

/ Chain link fence #3  
Chain link is certainly cost-effective and will last a long time I personally prefer metal pickets that are three-quarter inch square with top and bottom rails that are 1 1/2 in.² the reason I like pickets better is that coyotes have a harder time jumping the fence I have seen a coyote easily clear a 6 foot chain-link fence but if you don’t have problems with coyotes any system you want to use is good I just like metal because it lasts a lot longer with less maintenance.

/ Chain link fence #4  
We used 4' black chain link fence for our backyard for our 5 dogs, and it looks really nice. We also upgraded from the thinner diameter residential post and top rails to commercial which is thicker metal and larger diameter pipe. Really happy with it. Should last longer than wooden posts.

/ Chain link fence
Anyone use livestock fence panels and T-posts? I see you can get them in 16'

/ Chain link fence #6  
Not for dogs, but we have used them for hogs and cows, they seem to work well in those applications.

Aaron Z

/ Chain link fence #7  
Chainlink will require a top tail to keep it from sagging; I suppose you could just set eye tops on T-posts, but that seems pretty wobbly. It'll probably be okay once it's stretched and tied.

/ Chain link fence #9  
Of course chain link would do the job. If you're going big some kind of filed fencing on a roll would probably be much less expensive. The type of dog you have and whether they jump would have a bearing in how tall the fence needs to be. I'm on ten acres and only fenced it for the horses. I've not had a dog that wouldn't come when called.

I used field fencing with chain link posts and rails. Makes a nice looking and a bit nicer than chain link, way cheaper. I did dig the posts in but don't recall if I cemented.

The wire I used had rectangular 2" x 4" holes

/ Chain link fence #10  
We had our new backyard fenced with chain link. 5' high, with a top rail cross pipe and a bottom tension wire. We had them put in 2 walk in gates, one on each side of the house, and a 10' double gate. I think our total distance fenced was over 600', plus the 3 gates. Our cost was $6500 and we had to wait a month for them to come put it in. They pounded the posts in 3' below surface, with 5' above ground.

They also put up the entire thing in less than a half day, with only 2 guys.