Chain saw near miss

/ Chain saw near miss #11  
"One thing is that most saws (below commercial grade) have a too long bar from the store. On my Husky it sports a 16" bar and not the 20" and that makes it dead level when holding the front handle. It also makes it a lot more maneuverable, less awkward and less tiring to use. I don't know why most small saws have such long bars, it's not like we are out felling 44" oaks every day !!!"

I would venture to suggest the reason is that Mr Weekend user does not know that you can cut a 24" tree with a 12" blade.

Also on the marketing side 'bigger sounds better' and if you add 10" of blade it merely costs perhaps a couple of dollars more to make the buyer thing he is getting more of a deal!

/ Chain saw near miss #12  
It's funny that this thread came up. I sport a scar on my left thigh from an overly aggressive chain saw. A close inspection of the scar tissue reinforces the theory that chain saws don't "saw", they "rip".
My brother showed me this site: Welcome to Labonville.com - Logging Supplies and Safety Apparel

Check out this video: Welcome to Labonville.com - Logging Supplies and Safety Apparel

Click on the links on the Testimonials page to see some real life stories: Welcome to Labonville.com - Logging Supplies and Safety Apparel

After very little deliberation, I ordered and received them last week. Now, I won't go without them.

/ Chain saw near miss #13  
This is a bit off subject but many of us use chain saws as well as our beloved Kubotas. I was asked over the weekend to help clear a walking trail of deadfalls and broken branches. I was tired from hauling dirt all morning (I haven't got my B26 yet but I'm working on it) but I still went (first mistake, using a chain saw when tired)

I always wear my safety equipment when using a chain saw so I had on my safety boots, helmet, ear protectors and Kevlar chaps. I took a bit of ribbing for being so dressed up but I sort of off hand said it's better to get the safety stuff on before getting hurt.

Late in the afternoon I was cutting a small spruce when I felt a bump on my left leg just above the knee :eek:. The chain saw had slipped and cut the chap for about four inches. The chain saw blocked on the chewed up Kevlar like it's supposed to do. All I had was a torn up chap and NO injuries. For a long time I never used chaps but started about four years ago. I'll tell ya, it's the best $90 I ever spent.:D:D

Thanks for posting this! I was out today at Rural King picking up some replacement cutting teeth for my PHD auger and mentioned this posting to my wife and we went to see if they had chaps. I now have a pair and my wife feels much better and says thanks for the input.:)

/ Chain saw near miss #14  
I read this link today...I bought a pir also. My wife agreed 100%

Thanks for the story!

Deano

/ Chain saw near miss #15  
I would never laugh at anyone who uses safety equipment while using a chainsaw. I do wear glasses and gloves and that is it. I often wear shorts. I am generally only cutting downed wood for firewood, but occassionally I have to take down a tree. My trees are usually pretty small (less than a foot).

I never cut when I am too tired and I take lots of breaks to never get too tired. I probably never use the saw for more than hour a day. I haven't had an injury, but the first time I used one was to clear the land where I live and I almost cut through my wood snowshoe.

/ Chain saw near miss #16  
I just checked out the link to Labonville Logging, lo and behold they are only a couple hours away from me. I just ordered their catalog, thank you very much for sharing the info. I like this site more every day:)
Matt.

/ Chain saw near miss #17  
After reading all these posts I went today and got a set of chaps. They do keep the heat in but I think keeping the blood in is a good idea too. :D

I caught my knee with a chainsaw about 25 years ago. That wasn't pretty its all healed but the thought was always there.

With the chaps its a lot more peace of mind but being careful is the most important!

/ Chain saw near miss #18  
Been using a chainsaw since I was 15. I saw my neighbor have an accident that ripped his cheek all the way through. Lucky he didn't cut his jawbone and teeth.

Since I saw that accident, I keep a firm grip, arms fully extended, back straight as a poker. I can't say enough about keeping the work area clear of limbs and sticks that can trip you.

/ Chain saw near miss #19  
....One thing is that most saws (below commercial grade) have a too long bar from the store. On my Husky it sports a 16" bar and not the 20" and that makes it dead level ....

Yup. When I walked into my power equipment dealer some years ago wanting to buy a saw, the first thing he asked was if I had ever used one. When I said no, the next thing he did was to set me up with a 16" bar on a Stihl saw telling me that I could go plenty longer when I got use to running one. He also gave me a brief session on safety and operatiion along with actually cutting a log. The safety factor of a shorter bar combined with the fact that 80% of the suff I clear doesn't warrant a longer one has kept me with it. For the couple dozen big white pines I had to fell, I just switched out temporarily to a 24" bar. After it was down, and I had worked my way up the trunk, I switched back to the 16".

/ Chain saw near miss #20  
My buddy, Jay, was cutting firewood by himself way off the road,
first mistake, had his saw jump back and caught him on the inner
thigh, second mistake.:eek: Managed to control the bleeding enough to
get in his truck and drive to the nearest firehouse, where he was a member
(volunteer).:eek: Ambulance trip to the hospital, something like 100 sutures!!!!!:eek:

His Christmas gift to our friend Gale (guy) and me was chainsaw chaps.;)
**** fine gift. Yesterday I had a chain spin off the bar, it was caught on the stopper of the saw, but smacked the heck out of my leg. Put a ding in the chaps, but not me. Never leave for the woods without them!!:)

Bill