Chain-saws

/ Chain-saws
billbill1 said:
I am setting here waiting for UPS to deliver a CS-440 Echo that I bought off of Ebay, I got it for $151 including delivery. I have never had anything made by Echo before but have heard good things about them. Have always owned Stihls and have nothing but good things to say about them. Very expensive new is their only drawback IMHO.

Thats one heck of a price! Was that off a ebay store?
I had a good friend, he's dead now that was a Echo dealer. He was a real mechanic, if he liked them they must be good saws. There is nobody around here that would be good to deal with. The only thing negative that I've heard about Echo, is short on power for a given CC.

/ Chain-saws #42  
Bill, it was bought from a pawn shop out of Florida, it looks like new in the pictures. The thing that sold me on them is they have a 5 year consumer warranty. I can fix small engines and I have rarely ever needed to purchase any parts for any of the saws that I have owned in the past. I bid on some Husky's but they always bring big bucks and so do the Stihl's. Only time will tell, I may have wasted $151.

/ Chain-saws #43  
The 5 yr consumer warranty that Echo offers made my decision for me. My local power equipment dealer sell Husky, stihl and Echo. I went with an echo CS-370. Saw them on ebay for $200 delivered new, but when I went down to my dealer he had them tagged for $269. He finally sold it for $245 out the door. The $45 extra was fine since I got it right then and there. He filled it up with gas and oil and I was cutting back home in ten minutes. $45 for instant gratification is a bargain. Plus, if anything goes wrong, he will service it without a song and a dance about where I bought it. Like the saw, very well balanced. Had the Mighty bandit chipper going for about 4 hours on Saturday while a cleared an area for the kid's swingset.

/ Chain-saws #44  
My only experience has been with Stihl. I have a 028Super AV, love this one and a 440 with a 20" bar. But, Husqvarna I hear is gaining on Stihl from what I hear. I think they are all good, just a matter of personal preference. The 440 saws are considered professional and have just a 3 month warrenty if I remember right. The big thing is keeping them sharp, maintaining your engine and bar. I don't know what is the best price either,Stihl vs. Husky. I wanted a Stihl and my dealer is great.

As for blow downs..... I just posted some pictures yesterday in a rural living post "Got Wood";)

/ Chain-saws #45  
An update: Got the saw from UPS, filled it with gas and bar oil, it fired up and ran fine. The chain is so dull (18") it wouldn't cut through a 4" chunk of wood but I know how to fix that. Seems to be in pretty good condition. The ground is soft here in Kansas so it might be a while before I get to use it in "attack mode".

/ Chain-saws
billbill1 said:
An update: Got the saw from UPS, filled it with gas and bar oil, it fired up and ran fine. The chain is so dull (18") it wouldn't cut through a 4" chunk of wood but I know how to fix that. Seems to be in pretty good condition. The ground is soft here in Kansas so it might be a while before I get to use it in "attack mode".

Glad you got a good one.:D

/ Chain-saws #47  
I stopped by my local Stihl dealer about 2 months ago -- looking to pickup the 290. After comparing the 290, 310, 361 and test cutting I ended up w/ the MS361. Very comfortable saw to use and very fast cut. The dealer won't stock/sell the 390 - says for the cost it is just not worth it and the upgrade to the 361 to the better pro saw is well worth the $ difference. Very comfortable saw to use and very fast cut.

Bill Barrett said:
I have couple great dealers, lots of parts. Also check out Chainsaws, Outdoor Power Equipment and Tree Care Supplies from Bailey's for parts.
Unless something unforseen happens I'll go for a MS390, I looked at the 361, but sure don't want to go that much money.
Thanks for all the help!

/ Chain-saws #49  
billbill1 said:
On backwards? ;)

/ Chain-saws #50  
No, just completely abused and as dull as it could be. I ran it yesterday, it runs good and idles without dying. I wish it had more power but it isn't too bad for the price. Nice and light which is a big plus the older I get. My 041AV Stihl just wears me out anymore but still runs great. It used to be my all around saw but "light is right" these days.