Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #1  

BoneheadNW

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610
I will be needing to buy some chain to use with the FEL and bucket hooks to move downed trees, etc. around my property. The following questions come to mind:

1. What size (5/16", 3/8") and length chain would you recommend?

2. Are hooks necessary for the chain or will the bucket hooks be enough?

3. Where would you recommend I buy the chain online?

Any other advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bonehead

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #2  
I have 3/8" and it works fine with my bucket hooks.

That size chain in 8' or 16' lengths is fairly heavy so if you're buying online you'll want to compare the price WITH SHIPPING with what it would cost you at a "big box" like HD. I wouldn't assume that with something like chain, you'll save by buying online, but maybe.

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #3  
If you have a big 100+hp tractor and equivalent FEL, then 3/8"

If you have a 30-50 hp with equivalent FEL, then 5/16" will be fine.

I did manage to break a 1/4" chain using my budket hooks on a propane tank cantilevered out from the FEL, (32 hp) but it was misuse of the equipment and poor judgement on lifting and chain position that was the cause IMO.

Your bio doesn't say what you have. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #4  
Not all chains are created equal.

I would recommend nothing less than 3/8" Grade 43 chain which has a working load limit (WLL) of 5400 lbs. The WLL is the maximum load that shall be applied in direct tension to an undamaged straight length of chain. You can move up to 3/8" Grade 70 which has a WLL of 6600 lbs (I did).

If you bucket hooks are the standard 3/8" weld-on type then 3/8" chain is the way to go.

I buy my chain from B-B Chain a division of Chappell Tractors. They have pre-made lengths with grab hooks and prices range from $36 for 12' to $52 for 20'. Your local chain dealer may have similar deals.

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #5  
I will disagree here. 5/16" chain will be plenty, and 1/4" probably will work. What is the lifting capacity of your FEL? 2000lbs max? 5/16" grd 70 has a WLL of 4700 which is more that double your lifting capacity. I but 20' grd 70 5/16" with hooks at harbor freight tools for $22.

The bigger chains will work, but you will get tired of hauling them around. I have some 1/4" cahin laying around that I use most the time because it is easy to handle.

Get the hooks they are cheap and come in handy.

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #6  
I think that 5/16 on you 7610 will be plenty.

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #7  
All we have ever used in clearing our land before the house was even built is 5/16" grade 70 chain. We have yanked some pretty fair sized trees, wore out the first chain saw and are working on the second cutting trees but never broke a chain as of yet.

We wait until chain goes on sale at Harbor Freight and then make a purchase. Since we also use the chain to help us unload semi trucks with a pallet puller we have 5 or 6 lengths of it around here at any given time. Also welded 5/16" grab hooks on the 72" bucket to accept the chain.

Use what's comfortable for you but I would think 5/16" would cover most of your needs if not all of them and it's a lot easier and lighter to lug around IMO.

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Not all chains are created equal. )</font>

So very true. Why would you think the chain at Harbor Fright is so cheap? There is one ingredient missing in their chain; that is quality control. You might get a good chain, you might not. As a rule, I will never buy anything from Harbor Fright that I have to intrust my safety or the safety of my equipment. Disposable wrenches, screwdrivers, files, and such, maybe. A spring compresser, chain, floor jack and such, no way!

Inexpensive disposable stuff has it's place. To me, I don't need a chain if I can't depend on it. No offense, but I'd have to strongly pass on the bargain chain at Harbor Fright. For a good example; I bought an "off brand" chop saw blade there. It flew apart and put a nice gouge in my arm. I bought a spring compresser there. It broke and left a nice mark up the side of my face. Another inch over and I wouldn't be writing this. I bought a floor jack there. As I was putting a jack stand under the truck, the hydraulics in the floor jack exploded and dropped the truck. Fortunately I hadn't taken the wheel off yet. Need more proof? I don't!

Unless you don't care if it breaks or not, I'd buy good quality US made chain. For logging, you don't necessarily need grade 70, but I'd get a decent grade, perhaps 43, and stay with 3/8". But, that's just me. I value my safety and that of my equipment more than a $20 savings.

Sorry to sound so brutal, but I've had my fair warnings from buying cheap crap from Harbor Fright. I've been warned. If you've read this, you've been warned. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I don't want to be the one who dies from their defective stuff and have my family sue them and put them out of business. I'd just as soon let someone else have that honor.

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #9  
Brent; Amen to that! US made chains, hoists/lifting devices, binders ONLY! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Chains for Lifting Objests With FEL #10  
Guys I'm using chains to drag pallets to the backs of trucks and downed trees out of the woods this ain't brain surgery here. And even if a chain were to break in a case like this who gets hurt the pallet or the tree? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Sorry you have had such bad experiences with Harbor Freight but every time I have been there you have to turn sideways to get through the aisles for all the shoppers so they must be fooling an awful lot of other folks as well as me.