Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #1  

GreenTime

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 110TLB, JD 3720, JD Z997, Kubota L5740
I have a Kubota L5740 (57 HP) with Ag tires. Have a Normand 82" inverted snowblower on the 3 pt and 84" snow bucket on the front end loader. Would only plan to chain up for extra deep snow since I need to drive thru it. Anyone have experience on adding chains to front only for increased traction?

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #2  
I tried a set on the front of my 30HP Mahindra with industrial tires and it was extremely bumpy on "dry" surfaces.

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #3  
I tried chains on the front of mine the first winter with it but as stated above they make a VERY bumpy ride unless you’re driving IN snow with them. I installed GripStuds in the front tires and they’re excellent and not bumpy. I leave them in year round since I don’t drive on pavement in the non-snow months so they don’t wear out.

IMG_6441.JPG

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #4  
I use chains on the front R14's of my L6060 and they give me all the traction I need to push an 8' FEL plow.

IMG_0925a.jpg

The chains are cleated and do give a rough ride on hard surfaces though.

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #5  
The Euro style studded chains provide more traction then the other types of chains and also give a fairly smooth ride.
I can road travel on paved roads at15-18 mph comfortably, I usually run around 10-12 for reduced wear on the chains.
IMG_20160228_120946404.jpg

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #6  
I know you asked about chains on the front only...

Just my experience - I had ladder chains on the back wheels. In snow over 10 inches deep, whether using my front snowplow or back blade, both resulted in the snow push steering the front of the tractor, forcing it sideways.

Traditional ladder chains on the front might help with forward traction, but are marginal in preventing sideways push steer.

Your location indicates North Dakota...Google says North Dakota averages 39 inches of snow annually, with the north averaging 10 inches more.

I'm in Northern PA...Google says we get 41 inches annually...mile long gravel driveway...portions at a measured 7% grade.

For me, the objectives are to move as much snow as possible - as fast as possible...and Euro style chains on all 4 wheels achieves those objectives.

Bit of pucker factor on initial purchase, but there is a direct payback in time savings and efficiency.

I have the OFA EKO BRAND, and I now - - OWN WINTER - - the tractor is unstoppable, I can push a lot more snow with every pass, the ride is smooth, I look forward to plowing...and I'll never be able to wear them out!

You might consider a pair of Euro style chains for the front, try them and decide...then you can always add rears if desired later.

I wouldn't recommend traditional ladder chains, they typically cause the bumpy rides mentioned above and for me, only provided limited performance improvement over bare rubber.

Good Luck with whatever you decide...//Terry
5845277.jpg

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #7  
I had V-bar ladder chains - both front & rear - on my 4WD Ford 1700. It rode like a COB. It had sufficient traction to climb right up the side of a building.

I now have a Kubota M6040 - 4WD. With the larger, heavier tractor I no longer need any type of chains.

Boy - am I glad. I was prepared to get the Euro style chains for the Ford. I got the larger tractor instead.

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #8  
Personaly I wouldnt have only chains on the front. The front is to assist not be a primary source of power.

I had a set of aqualine MPC. Low profile net chains that I left of the rear all year round. They worked great.

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #9  
I've been running double rings on the rear only for the past 25 years. I have no issues with traction. They are rough riding on the road, so that keeps me from going too far in the winter, (that's a good thing).

I've related this story before. The year I got chains I tested things out. We had 12" - 18" of snow on the ground, couldn't go anywhere in two wheel drive. With the front end locked I could go about 50', in 4 wheel drive and the rear diff locked I could go 100' with considerable spinning, with chains on the rear in two wheel drive, (no diff lock), I could go any where I wanted. I've never had a need to consider adding front chains.

I'm a big fan of tire chains for those of us that get considerable snow or ice. The double rings are also great in the spring mud for a working in the woods. I do like the looks of those euro chains, they were not an option 25 years ago and I'm too cheap to upgrade.

/ Chains on front or rear tractor tires for pushing snow #10  
My dream is to have euro style studded chains, but I have limited clearing under rear fenders, so DUO H-pattern chains rear, and double linked ladder V-bar front works decent for my use. I've got a nasty steep driveway.

271077954_10158475562020983_2348743580849733744_n.jpg