Chains required!

/ Chains required! #1  

varmint

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B8200, then a Kubota L3130 HST, now a Kubota L3400 HST
Our 500' downhill stone lane is still covered with snow and ice- it's as clear as a plow could get it. When we left this morning, about half way down I noticed my neighbor's RAV 4 blocking the lane- right front wheel in the ditch to the right side, hopelessly stuck in the snowbank. I was sliding badly in my Subaru, but was able to slowly back up the lane. I got out the tractor, and with the rear chains giving me traction on the ice, I was able to slip past him, hook up a tow strap, and drag him back on the lane. Without chains, it would have been impossible to even get past him. Normally, I don't need them, but when you do, you do!

/ Chains required! #3  
*singing* And like a good neighbor, varmint is there...

Way to go! :thumbsup:

/ Chains required!
Well, GolfAddict, to be honest he was blocking the lane. He had to go! Now today, I was out in the blowing snow, plowing and trying to keep ahead of it. Tomorrow we are hoping for an oil delivery, and it could be touchy. I hate it when they slide off the lane and get mad at me. You'd think an oil truck would be heavy and unstoppable, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

/ Chains required! #6  
Well, GolfAddict, to be honest he was blocking the lane. He had to go! Now today, I was out in the blowing snow, plowing and trying to keep ahead of it. Tomorrow we are hoping for an oil delivery, and it could be touchy. I hate it when they slide off the lane and get mad at me. You'd think an oil truck would be heavy and unstoppable, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Up here we expect oil and propane delivery trucks to be both heavy and sport at least the automatic chains if not the regular old fashioned chains that have to be put on by the driver when needed. Sadly many do not and many unnecessary fuel spills occur when they go off the road and overturn. Seems drivers and dispatchers can't be trained to deliver loads to the top of the mountain locations on good days between storms.

/ Chains required! #7  
Up here we expect oil and propane delivery trucks to be both heavy and sport at least the automatic chains if not the regular old fashioned chains that have to be put on by the driver when needed. Sadly many do not and many unnecessary fuel spills occur when they go off the road and overturn. Seems drivers and dispatchers can't be trained to deliver loads to the top of the mountain locations on good days between storms.
Automatic chains? Pls elaborate.

/ Chains required! #8  
motor driven. often hydraulic

They just hang just forward and inside the tire until energized, then the sections of chain "fan out" with the rotation, and are caught between the tire and road surface.

All the school busses have them. Search the web. I bet there are pictures.

/ Chains required! #10  
Thanks!
,,,Pretty nice for road and consolidated pack conditions. I think Iv even seen those on buses, but not in actual use.