Chainsaw Bar Oil

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #32  
I have always used ,new not used, motor oil. The chain and bar are still good on the first saw I bought in the late 60s. Haven't read the whole thread, not sure what the pros ues.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #33  
We cut 1-200 cords of firewood every year and i have worked for some arborists and logging crews who have all used 15/40 or 80/90 gear oil watered down with a bit of hyd oil or whatever is to hand in our old and new saws without any trouble so long as the chain is getting enough of it . I do see some of our self employed boys putting 10/30 in their saws in winter if thats all they have in the truck to finnish the day out.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #34  
Used oil works pretty well. I have never had wear problem out of any saw I have owned. I suspect that it is just fine but I bet the"Snake Oil" salesmen will give you a hundred reasons why it won't work, when I know that it will. I have seen used transmission fluid used as well.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #35  
besides the fact that it's bad for the environment? should htere be any other reasons needed?

soundguy

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #36  
Bar oil -
The buildup of human oils deposited by leaning on the bar while drinking.
The bar oil used will often depend on the oiler and the temperature.

My JD CS62 on a medium setting will spit out Motion Lotion at low temps like a llama, (Bailey's - Motion Lotion Bar & Chain Oil).
My Stihl 660 dribbles it out at the same temps, while turned to the max, like Scrooge McDuck.

WalMart oil is much thinner and less sticky, Canola oil is more "green".

Just make sure your chain "spits" a little and you should be OK.

Note - I bought 4 gallons of Motion Lotion for $9@ when Baileys had free shipping.

The OP mentioned Way and Slide lube used for rearends and such. I'd be wary of lubes used for rearends. :)

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #37  
besides the fact that it's bad for the environment? should htere be any other reasons needed?

soundguy

I get what you are saying, but I suspect that specific bar oil is not all wine and roses for the environment either. Chainsaws are just tough on the environment for a multitude of reasons.

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #38  
I get what you are saying, but I suspect that specific bar oil is not all wine and roses for the environment either. Chainsaws are just tough on the environment for a multitude of reasons.

if you have a choice between introducing clean oil stock to the environment. or 'waste' oil stock that's been thru an engine.. collected benzene and heavy metals.. etc... well.. which one would you prefer to show up in your drinking water? the one with mercury, lead and benzene.. or the one without it?

soundguy

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #39  
Agreed. Used sump oil is a really bad thing for the saw, the environment and YOU. You're breathing a mist of that stuff all the time you're cutting, to some extent.

If you really want to be environmentally conscious and personally safe, use vegetable oil with a veggie-based tackifier additive and also wear a respirator because even veggie oil ain't too salubrious for your lungs. Alternately, you can forget the tackifier and just run a bit more oil through the pump to make sure enough gets around the bar to the bottom where the pressure is.

You can buy spiffy "biodegradable" commercial bar oil at about double the cost of dino bar oil or canola oil from Sam's Club, if it makes you feel better. :)

If you work around wetlands or water you should definitely use a veggie oil. Used fryer oil will work okay, too and your firewood smells like french fries. :)

Rich

/ Chainsaw Bar Oil #40  
I bought a saw that had been run on vegi oil. What a :smiley_aafz::thumbdown::smiley_aafz: sticky :mad: mess to clean up.