Chainsaw Brand Quality Question

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #31  
Stihl is the best.

Ha ah ha ah ahha......... and how many different brands have you had the pleasure of operating? There is no "BEST", it's all in what someone likes & gets used to, and just how fast you want to get something done. Yes, stihl puts out more money than any other manufacturer on advertising, does that make them the best? Doubt it. I own (at the present time) stihl, husqvarna, jonsered, shindaiwa, poulan and homelite (and green machine to go back a few years) OPE; is there a best? I don't think so, they all have their places, in my stable at least, but to say one is the best; you'll have to explain that one.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #32  
Ha ah ha ah ahha......... and how many different brands have you had the pleasure of operating? There is no "BEST", it's all in what someone likes & gets used to, and just how fast you want to get something done. Yes, stihl puts out more money than any other manufacturer on advertising, does that make them the best? Doubt it. I own (at the present time) stihl, husqvarna, jonsered, shindaiwa, poulan and homelite (and green machine to go back a few years) OPE; is there a best? I don't think so, they all have their places, in my stable at least, but to say one is the best; you'll have to explain that one.

Your statements ring quite true. Unless woodcutting is/was a profession or worse, one is a chainsaw junkie ( I fall into both categories) a pro chainsaw is a chainsaw. They all cut and they all break. I can easily understand affiliations to these things if you've had one a long time and it has always come through for you. If you have used enough chainsaws, you get to the point of knowing that having the same model chainsaw as the last time means absolutely nothing to the new saws attributes as far as longevity and durability so all one can do is cross your fingers and hope yours doesn't let you down no matter what the brand. One piece of advice to the steady user I would offer is to get a pro saw. That being said, of all the cutting CHAINS I've used, I have to say Stihl chains have held up the best. They seem to have just the right blend of hardness and sharpening ease that have made them my favorite saw chain. Husky chains seem the softest to me and thus dull quicker IMO.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #34  
IMHO, when comparing the "majors" pro model to pro model, a big factor in which brand is "best" is the dealer: cost, how close, attitude/comfort and competence.

An absolute point in my mind as well. Parts availability is also a major consideration. There are many good saws out there such as Efco, Dolmar, Solo,Tanaka, Hitachi etc, etc. Without a local backup for parts, it can get frustrating.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #35  
just for the record, I own a Poulan. It starts easy enough but keeping it running is another matter. It gets really annoying when you have to keep re-starting it between cuts. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #36  
IMHO, when comparing the "majors" pro model to pro model, a big factor in which brand is "best" is the dealer: cost, how close, attitude/comfort and competence.

Exactly. Without good local support the best chainsaw can be troublesome. That is why I have a Husqvarna over the other brands. Different location I would probably own a different chain saw.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #37  
Just received a Father's Day Stihl flyer advertising MS250 with 16" Bar for $299 or $20 more with 18" Bar.

Also had $179.95 for the MS170

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #38  
Stihl is pretty good, but make sure you can remove and replace the oil and fuel caps before leaving the store.
The engineer who came up with the new design needs be keel hauled in my book.

Wedge

And the boat should have lots of barnacles on the bottom. Otherwise--I love my Stihl.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #39  
Just received a Father's Day Stihl flyer advertising MS250 with 16" Bar for $299 or $20 more with 18" Bar.

Also had $179.95 for the MS170

Both of which are "homeowner grade" saws.

/ Chainsaw Brand Quality Question #40