Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #11  
On my 2013 550xp that is long gone now, everytime I stored it vertical with full tank, then when I first start it with just one pull with choke on it would flood, two pulls and gas would run out of muffler, of course it would always do that when I go down in the woods. The quickest way I un-flooded that saw was to take plug out, crank a dozen times, put plug back in and would start right up, my new 550xp or Echo 501p hasn't done that yet when stored vertical, I think some saws needs a shutoff valve.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel
I just spray the plug with brake cleaner.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #13  
By the time that you guys get the plug out I am up and running.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #14  
My 046 does this. It rides in the back of my Yukon. Seams to do it a lot less when the tank is completely full. Mane less sloshing and gas fume build up. My ms290 didn't have this issue.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #15  
My 046 does this. It rides in the back of my Yukon. Seams to do it a lot less when the tank is completely full. Mane less sloshing and gas fume build up. My ms290 didn't have this issue.

It's hard to believe that OP's elevation change of only 500' would result in enough pressure build-up to flood...but it does.
Full tank may be less of a problem.
I think the emptier the tank of fuel, the more that volume of gas above the liquid that will "expand" (relative to lower pressure outside the tank due to elevation change) without losing pressure.
Also being in the back of the truck, do they get placed there in the cool morning, then sit in the sun for 2-3 hours on the trip? Again, the emptier the tank, the more gas to expand.

....but shouldn't the tanks have vents that equalize pressure, otherwise you'd create a vacuum as you run saw? But is vent a one way "check valve"? Must be, else they'd leak?

When flooded, I do what others suggest. No choke and pull with wide open throttle...until you start cussing.....then take the plug out.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #16  
Does you saw have a primer bulb?

Spit-balling here:
I don't know completely how most primer bulbs work. 4 out of 5 of my saws don't have them, but on my other (5) 2-cycles that do, it seems that when the tank is empty (or filter is pulled out of gas), the primer bulb will suck air and push gas out of the lines back into the tank. (I typically do this at the end of the season).

Would getting gas out of lines prevent flooding if tank pressure increases on trip, they'd be no gas in lines to push?
(...or just fill the tank if you're going through that much trouble.)

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #17  
It's hard to believe that OP's elevation change of only 500' would result in enough pressure build-up to flood...but it does.
Full tank may be less of a problem.
I think the emptier the tank of fuel, the more that volume of gas above the liquid that will "expand" (relative to lower pressure outside the tank due to elevation change) without losing pressure.
Also being in the back of the truck, do they get placed there in the cool morning, then sit in the sun for 2-3 hours on the trip? Again, the emptier the tank, the more gas to expand.

....but shouldn't the tanks have vents that equalize pressure, otherwise you'd create a vacuum as you run saw? But is vent a one way "check valve"? Must be, else they'd leak?

When flooded, I do what others suggest. No choke and pull with wide open throttle...until you start cussing.....then take the plug out.

I live near the tidal Hudson about 200-300ft above it. Our remote property is at 1600'. A full gas tank has worked for me.

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel #18  
I live near the tidal Hudson about 200-300ft above it. Our remote property is at 1600'. A full gas tank has worked for me.

Do you get flooding otherwise?
Isn't a 500' elevation change equivalent to a few hours of barometric change when a low pressure storm front comes through?
Seems like a lot of saws would flood from one day to the next without traveling anywhere. (???)

/ Chainsaw flooding from pickup bed travel

You might be on to something as it seems one time it was almost full and started fine. The last time I only had maybe a quarter tank in the Stihl.