Chainsaw help

/ Chainsaw help #11  
There ya go. Something with a nice double braid and a silicone dielectric should do you very nicely. :drink:

/ Chainsaw help
There ya go. Something with a nice double braid and a silicone dielectric should do you very nicely. :drink:

I was thinking of using a scrap of Heliax to get as close to 100% shielding as is practical. Alternatively as a pilot I could befriend and buy a local A&P a beer and ask for a used aircraft engine spark plug wire. They are good for high power magnetos and are well shielded to avoid RFI issues.

Patrick

/ Chainsaw help #13  
Not gloves, an electron sheild is what is required.

No proper knowledge but there should be some kind of vest available from X-Ray, laboratory, military/law enforcement or maybe even dental suppliers.

/ Chainsaw help #14  

No proper knowledge but there should be some kind of vest available from X-Ray, laboratory, military/law enforcement or maybe even dental suppliers.
:thumbsup:

Look up "taser proof shirt", the principle is it shields the wearer.

Also look up "resistor plug" for the saw.

The comment about having shielding on the spark plug wire is good too. What I don't know is if the shield itself would become a "choke" (impedance) to the pulse being sent to the plug. But there's a lot of information (in the automotive world) about spark plug wires that limit radio interference. Edit: Oops, like you're knowledgeable & on the case looking for airplane plug wires.

-And that's what we're really talking about, limiting (through shielding/grounding) radio frequency interference (RFI), or more broadly electromagnetic forces (EMF's)

/ Chainsaw help

Egon, et al, When I was first told to stop welding because of the ICD (well, after the air was less blue around me) I did a little searching. On the welding sites of all the big names in welding like Hobart, Lincoln, etc. there are guys whose jobs are modified or lost due to prohibition against welding. As you might imagine there are a lot of off the wall ill conceived attempted remedies right up there with the solid scientific measures where folks put aluminum foil on their heads to stop extraterrestrial influences or whatever. Guys trying lead filled vests ala dental X-rays and on and on. The MFG of my ICD says none of the aprons or vests will work.

I was an electronics guy and a physicist before I was a computer scientist. In the olden days of CRT's in oscilloscopes the CRT was often surrounded by a metal shield to prevent stray fields from deflecting the electron beam and causing error in the data presented. These shields were made of mu metal (Greek letter mu pronounced mew) The mu metal alloy makes a good magnetic shield. So I went surfing the web for a source of mu metal to make some sort of suit of armor like maybe a breast plate like Coronado's troops might have worn. SHAZAM and GOLLY GEE you can now buy mu metal that has been made into thread and woven into cloth. Really serious cloth for costuming the freezer wrap on the head crowd.

I did not follow through with my plan to enlist the help of someone who could weld to weld with and without a mu metal vest under their leathers while I made various field strength measurements. I can't do the experiment myself without risking setting off the defibrillator which is like simultaneously getting kicked in the chest by a mule and hit with A 10kv hot wire electric fence. It can do a little damage to your heart when it defibs you. Better than not having a heart beat but not something to intentionally induce if it can be helped. If my ICD was only a pacemaker and was not also a defib I would take several precautions and weld knowing if I felt dizzy or faint I could stop welding and recover just fine. Ditto with a chain saw.

But I do have a defib so I want to reduce the risk of setting it off by following the MFGs recommendations re spark plug wires and spark plug. I can go the extra mile and shield the plug wire. But right now I don't know what brand/model chain saw has the desired configuration. Hence the reason I started this thread.

Patrick

Patrick

/ Chainsaw help #17  
Wow, Patrick. It would seem your knowledge is well above most of us here. I'll stop my irrelavent unimformed chatter.

The nickel dropped! For some reason I was under the impression there was a different name in other times. Signs of an aging memory fed an insufficient nutrient supply.

/ Chainsaw help #18  
How about NOT operating a chainsaw anymore? Seems like the wisest move....

/ Chainsaw help #19  

No, there are no stray electrons running around. It's an electromagnetic field.

The comment about having shielding on the spark plug wire is good too. What I don't know is if the shield itself would become a "choke" (impedance) to the pulse being sent to the plug.

It won't.

I was thinking of using a scrap of Heliax to get as close to 100% shielding as is practical.

Hmmmm. Not sure I like the Heliax. Too rigid, I suspect. I think you need some flex to allow for the vibrations of the saw.

Alternatively as a pilot I could befriend and buy a local A&P a beer and ask for a used aircraft engine spark plug wire. They are good for high power magnetos and are well shielded to avoid RFI issues.

Oh, now you're cheating! :D That would be the stuff! Not being a pilot, I didn't know about that. Makes sense. In fact, I just learned about aircraft shielded wire a few weeks ago talking to a friend of mine who is building a plane. Since he's a signal processing engineer, and I'm in communications, we talk shop a lot. He was telling me about the shielded wire that runs to his clearance lights. Noisy beasts, those clearance lights. Xenon, I think?

Something like that should do you fine.

/ Chainsaw help #20  
[QUOTENo, there are no stray electrons running around. It's an electromagnetic field.][/QUOTE]

But don't those electro magnetic fields get started by electrons ?