ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #1  

MikeBurr

Silver Member
Tractor
NH TC33D
Got a new Stihl chain saw and the saleman said it required a 50:1 mix, ok. Checked the oil I used for my old saw and it said it made a 40:1 mix. So I go down to the store and get some oil that say's 50:1, must need more oil to gas mixture. Then I visit another store and see a large container of 2 cycle oil and in the attached measuring bowl the 50:1 would require less oil than a 40:1. So what is the ratio really measuring??

TC33D

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #2  
Hi ya
most mixes are gas/oil so 50/1 would be 50 parts gas to one part oil . Older chainsaws might run 25/1 the other thing is make sure the oil is for mixing at 50/1.most 50/1 oils are more raceing based and burn cleaner etc etc i have 2 saws 1 runs 20/1 and the other runs 25/1 but i use a 50/1 oil in both .Use a good 2 stroke oil and good bar lube and ya will have no probs
catch ya
JD Kid

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #3  
Mike 50:1 is 50 parts gas to one part oil, and likewise with 40:1.

You "should" go by volume, but most 2-cycle oil containers are marked in ounces. There are "approximately" 96 ounces (of oil) in a gallon, so to get a 50:1 mixture, you would put (approximately) 2 ounces into a gallon of gas.

To get a 40:1 mixture, the same gallon of gas would require 2.4 ounces of oil. Alternatively, you could take the same 2 ounces of oil and add .83 gallons of gas.

Much easier way is to go by the instructions on the container. They usually list the quantities for different ratios.

The GlueGuy

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #4  
Your Stihl dealer has oil put up in containers that, when added to one gallon of unleaded, will yield the correct mixture. I believe that these are packaged in 6 packs.
Bob

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #5  
Yes you are right Bob I use them for my stihl chainsaw. Makes it really easy to do.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle
Thanks, makes a little more since now. At least I can still use the few 40:1 mix I have left, just add a little more gas. Thanks all....

TC33D

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #7  
Hi ya
if you have 40/1 mix mixed up in tins/cans DON'T ADD MORE GAS to try and make it 50/1 if the oil is not up to the task your new saw will be dead in hours, worst case i have ever seen saw only lasted 3/4 of a tank of gas guy got the mix realy out of line. stihl ,husky and other makes all have there own oils all will work great in any saws i'll say the same going the other way don't mix 50/1 down to 25/1 you will find it's smokey and plugs will foul
catch ya
JD Kid

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #8  
I would add a note of caution here. I was told by my dealer NOT to use outboard motor oil, even the modern TCW3 formulation. He said it was not designed to be used in air cooled engines. So my outboard oil goes in my outboard, and I have 6.4 oz bottles of Stihl oil to mix in my one gallon can of gas.

Anybody else heard this concern?

18-33477-tibbsig2.JPG

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #9  
Oops, I hope not. I figured what goes in my $14K Merc is OK for my $200 Chain Saw. I haven't had any problems.... Yet.

Mark

/ ChainSaw Oil-2 cycle #10  
fishman, I won't claim to understand the differences, or know what bad results could occur, but I think all the dealers are saying the same thing; outboard motor oil is NOT to be used in air cooled engines. So I don't. I think you'll also find the same warning on most of the oil containers.

Bird