Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?!

/ Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?! #31  
Good information. Now a question. If you hit a rock with a chain it is said that you "rocked" the chain. So if you hit a piece of steel does it mean you "stealed" the chain? Just thought I might throw a little humor in here after the bickering that was on the other mentioned thread.

I guess you could say that!! Although they are not the same, I made the mistake of thinking that in the other thread. Was quickly corrected. ;)

/ Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?! #32  
Stihl has a new tool, the "FG4 roller filing tool," for hand filing chains. I have traditional file guides and a power grinder, but the FG4 seems to give the best results for me. It's small, fast, and easy to use. It works very well for getting the proper angle on the file. It also has guides for filing the depth gauges for cutting either hard or soft wood.

Product page is here:
STIHL FG4 roller filing tool | STIHL | Stihl, Viking, chain saws, brushcutters, hedge trimmers, clearing saws, high-pressure cleaners, lawn mowers, trimmers

Instructional video is here:
STIHL FG4 roller filing tool - YouTube

/ Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?! #33  
   / Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?! #34  
I do everything myself and usually can get the right feel for any fine mechanical type activity. I had alot of trouble learning to hand file.

The local small engine shop messed up 3 of my chains.

So I bought a timberline sharpener. It works great, gets chains as sharp or sharper than new. It controls all the angles, and is manually powered, so you can use it anywhere.

/ Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?! #35  
ForumRunner_20131215_202033.png

/ Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?! #36  
I do everything myself and usually can get the right feel for any fine mechanical type activity. I had alot of trouble learning to hand file.

The local small engine shop messed up 3 of my chains.

So I bought a timberline sharpener. It works great, gets chains as sharp or sharper than new. It controls all the angles, and is manually powered, so you can use it anywhere.

That looks pretty neat

/ Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?! #37  
I like it. It works really good.

/ Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?! #39  
That Timberline sharpener does look pretty slick. I might have to try that one.

/ Chainsaw sharpening, hand or grind?! #40  
Timberline chainsaw sharpener review - The Garage Journal Board

This thread covered a lot of the pros and cons well I thought. The company video was impressive. I guess the price ($250 on Amazon with one of each of the four sizes of rotary files/cutters is OK. My son said try the $28 electric chainsaw sharpen first that is still in the box. :)

My machinist background makes me want to get by hands on a Timberline. :) No more than I use a saw these days a file would do I guess.