Chainsaw use - alone

/ Chainsaw use - alone #1  

Garandman

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 HST
Do not see a Poll option here, but just curious if you ever use the chainsaw while alone. Alone meaning no human within eyesight, earshot, or both.

Only ever used the saw while other family was here, except in emergencies like downed tree across driveway. But I am falling behind on my projects, some of which count on taking logs out of our woods while the ground is still frozen. There is excellent cell reception here, but if I cannot use the phone that is no help.

A lot of people say no way! while many others say, Be extra careful. Most of what I need to do is low on the difficulty scale: cutting downed or felled trees to log length to carry them out.

“According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 36,000 people are injured by chainsaws annually. The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches.” pretty sobering.

/ Chainsaw use - alone #2  
Nope and will not ever again, after completing my NFS sawyer certification training. Not worth it. My life does have minimal value. :p

/ Chainsaw use - alone #3  
I have many...many...many times.

/ Chainsaw use - alone #4  
I say I won't, but I do. Not tree felling or marathon sessions though.

I bet a lot of people get hurt cutting off tree limbs.

/ Chainsaw use - alone #5  
If I didn't use a saw unless someone was around I'd almost never use it.
So almost all the time.

/ Chainsaw use - alone #6  
I tell my wife where to find the body if I don't come home for dinner. :eek:

And I drive on country roads alone, too. :eek:

More likely to get injured driving than using the chainsaw.

In all seriousness, though, I don't have much of a choice but to work alone in the woods. Sometimes my wife will have time off, and she'll come out and read a book while I'm felling trees. That's the time I'm most worried about something happening. Once they are on the ground, I can take my time and cut them up at my leisure, being very cautious and conscientious as to what I'm doing. Also, when I start getting tired, I quit right there and then. Take a break. Drink some gatorade, eat a sandwich, even take a nap. Never work with a chainsaw when you're tired.

/ Chainsaw use - alone #7  
Yes. You can mitigate most of the dangers by using safe practices and common sense.
and what Moss said : "Also, when I start getting tired, I quit right there and then. Take a break. Drink some gatorade, eat a sandwich, even take a nap. Never work with a chainsaw when you're tired."
DONT use a chainsaw when you are tired, people around or not.

/ Chainsaw use - alone #8  
IF, I wouldn't run a chainsaw when I was alone, a LOT less chain sawing would get done around here.

I prefer to have someone with me while felling, but that doesn't always happen either.

I have some big damaged maples that need to be taken down right now, and I'm trying to get my friend to come help me get them on the ground, soon...

SR

/ Chainsaw use - alone #9  
Do not see a Poll option here, but just curious if you ever use the chainsaw while alone. Alone meaning no human within eyesight, earshot, or both.

Only ever used the saw while other family was here, except in emergencies like downed tree across driveway. But I am falling behind on my projects, some of which count on taking logs out of our woods while the ground is still frozen. There is excellent cell reception here, but if I cannot use the phone that is no help.

A lot of people say no way! while many others say, Be extra careful. Most of what I need to do is low on the difficulty scale: cutting downed or felled trees to log length to carry them out.

é„*ccording to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), approximately 36,000 people are injured by chainsaws annually. The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches. pretty sobering.

In a perfect world we could all have a doctor with us during chainsaw use. Unfortunately this is not a perfect world. You are lucky to have family to help and excellent cell reception. Both of those factors should be utilized. However for those of us who must use a chainsaw alone, without cell reception, we should at least let somebody know our location and the expected time for project completion. It goes without saying safety measures such as chaps, helmets, gloves, and common sense should always be followed.

/ Chainsaw use - alone #10  
A few weeks ago, I left the front door and reminded myself to be safe. A few minutes later, I had fallen flat on my back on some ice in the barn, from melting snow and flooding. Not sure, thinking SAFE, always helps!

Knock on wood, I have never as much as gotten a scratch from a chainsaw. I usually only wear glasses and hearing protection, but should wear a hard hat when felling trees. Always think of it afterwards. Like bringing wedges!