Challenger MT295

/ Challenger MT295 #1  

familyman

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800HST
I am looking for general opinions on this machine, which is made by Iseki. It's a 44hp hydro with an fel, and the one I found is in like new condition.

/ Challenger MT295 #2  
familyman said:
I am looking for general opinions on this machine, which is made by Iseki. It's a 44hp hydro with an fel, and the one I found is in like new condition.
Depending on model year, isn't this pretty much the same as the Massey-Ferguson MF1500 series machines... kinda between the 1540 and 1547 horsepower-wise? Maybe good to get opinions from the M-F owners? Not too many Challenger owners around here. CAT dealers sell them and demand absolute top dollar (like for everything else CAT). As a result, sales are not very strong. In fact, I think my local CAT dealer would dump the whole line if he could. :rolleyes:

Dougster

/ Challenger MT295 #3  
familyman said:
I don't think that we have a member with that exact model. If we do, I don't remember them right off. I have a MF that is a couple of sizes smaller and did have the one right below that one also. Most that have these tractors will be visiting the Massey forum. I have had good luck with both tractors and would recommend them to anyone. The one thing that I haven't had is a hydro version. My MF 1250 was a regular shuttle 16 speed and now I have a MF 1440 turbo with a 16 speed PowerShuttle.
I think that the MF295 is in 52 horse power range instead of 44. It would be the same as a MF1455 or if it is a M295"B", it would be a MF1552.

/ Challenger MT295
Thanks, I'll do a little research on those models.

/ Challenger MT295 #5  
familyman said:
Thanks, I'll do a little research on those models.
I'll defer to Jerry on the MF1400 series vs. MF1500 series. :) But I will add this on the Challenger brand: They confuse the heck out of people... and that could mean a heckuva bargain on the right machine. I mean, who goes to CAT to buy a compact aggie-style tractor or aggie implements? Nobody!!! The machines sit there and rust until either: a) Some construction guy decides he needs a really inexpensive machine (relatively speaking) that's still CAT yellow... or b) the CAT dealer decides to blow them out before they become antiques.

Last year before I bought my beloved red Beast, I wanted to buy a slightly used MT275 from a private party about 50 miles away. The thing went really cheap, probably because of no local local support and no one seeking a compact utility tractor knew a thing about the brand. As usual, I was 15 minutes late to the table with my cash. After that, I went to the CAT dealer and tried to buy a new one (actually, an 87 hour demo... but the CAT dealer still considered it brand new). His prices were sky high (compared to same model in M-F) and even with rebates, implement credits and 5-year 0% financing was insanely more than an M-F. The bottom line is this: CAT doesn't understand the compact utility tractor market and compact utility tractor buyers don't understand CAT. It can make for some very confused buyers & sellers and extraordinary bargains in some private party used Challenger equipment... often from hurtin' construction contractors. :)

On the negative side, a nearby rental company associated with CAT has one used MT275 on its lot. It is the sorriest looking tractor you would ever want to see. I was interested in it solely as rental backup to my own machine, but I fear it has been abused beyond belief. It is clear that whomever was renting it believed it to be a real construction grade machine... which it was not. It may be sold by CAT, but a real CAT machine it is not. Beware of buying one from anyone who ever thought otherwise. :rolleyes:

Dougster

/ Challenger MT295 #6  
can someone tell me what brand engine is in the challenger? Cat salesman told me that it was a cat engine but I dont think he new what it was.

/ Challenger MT295 #7  
mopacman said:
can someone tell me what brand engine is in the challenger? Cat salesman told me that it was a cat engine but I dont think he new what it was.
Last time I checked one out it was Iseki Matsuyama.

Dougster

/ Challenger MT295 #8  
mopacman said:
They have Iseki like the Massey and AGCO compacts.