Change the oil in the fall or in the spring?

/ Change the oil in the fall or in the spring? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I have debated this for decades since I change oil once a year. In the fall gives clean oil for the winter with no "acids" that might bother bearings. But I get some condensation.
In the spring means fresh oil for the lengthening days of spring but I go through the winter with stale oil.
I have always done fall but switched to spring. Not sure if right or wrong.

Do you change oil in the fall or in the spring?

/ Change the oil in the fall or in the spring? #2  
I think you will get many opinions on this one!
I change mine in the fall. My reasoning is to get all the dirt and contaminants out that may attack the metals during hibernation. I do use the Yanmar 2 or 3 times through out the winter to dress up the drive when the neighbor gets done plowing with his truck on those real ugly days but I never start the Mitsubishi or the Ford in the winter. I know that when spring comes, I'm ready to go with out any prep. I also check antifreeze, grease, change fuel & air filters before covering up for winter.(wish I had a bigger garage!)

/ Change the oil in the fall or in the spring? #3  
Do you take into consideration the number of hours operated.:D

/ Change the oil in the fall or in the spring? #4  
The JD455 lawn tractor I service in the Fall, just because I have the time and it has usually about 200 hours on it. The JD3520 I do by the service hours whenever they are required no matter what time of year it is.

/ Change the oil in the fall or in the spring? #5  
I always get rid of the old, acid riddled crummy old oil in the Fall and let my delicate engines enjoy being bathed in clean, acid free oil all winter. I run my equipment a few times during the Winter and then come the spring, I run them long and hard, boiling off any condensation that might have resulted from the few winter runs.
Bob

/ Change the oil in the fall or in the spring? #6  
I do all my engines in the fall. Do them all once/year now with synthetic oil.

Ralph

/ Change the oil in the fall or in the spring? #7  
I do all my maintence in the fall, then I have a fresh tractor first thing in the spring when theres plenty of other chores needing to be done. Its also a good time to verify the integrity of the unit so I am not waiting on any parts in the spring.

/ Change the oil in the fall or in the spring? #9  
I do my equipment every 50 hours/3000 miles or on things like lawn mowers and boats that will be stored for the winter I do them in the fall. Don't like leaving dirty acid filled oil in all winter.

I really don't think you can go wrong either way. You are way ahead just by changing the oil. You would be surprised how many don't. My neighbor had to put a new engine in his Dodge truck 3 years ago. I helped him drop it in and at that time I changed the oil. I helped him replace the transfer case 2 months ago and noted the same filter with my marks on it. He said it was fine, he had only driven it 10,000 miles or so. Wonder why he has so many repairs?

Chris

/ Change the oil in the fall or in the spring? #10  
I go by hours not years months or seasons.

My tractor requires yearly or by hours, so yearly it is (in the fall, of course)