Oil & Fuel Changed fuel filter - made a mess!

/ Changed fuel filter - made a mess! #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I turned off the fuel cock, removed the bowl and filter and went inside to get the new filter. Came back and there was about a 6' diameter diesel slick on the shop floor. I thought maybe I had not shut it off so turned the lever to the other position (on and off indicated by Japanese lettering) and it really flowed then, so turned it back "off". Still a trickle, which caused the mess. Hmmm..

I put the new filter on and the bowl and mowed about 3 hours today with no problems (except power steering) and no leaks.

Heres a pic.

Alan L., TX

Attachments

• 2-67397-sep02$02.jpg
    2-67397-sep02$02.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 101
   / Changed fuel filter - made a mess! #2  
Alan,
What a coincidence! I just cleaned the fuel filter on my tractor yesterday. Odd as it may sound, the same thing happened to me, but I had the oil pan under it so no puddle/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. I found that the "other" direction for "off" was off and dry. The one I used first was "off and dripping". Did you try moving the lever both sides to see if one was a better seal? That was the ticket for me.

I also had to modify the fuel filter bracket with my 3 lb persuader. Seems it was too close to some wires and "stuff" to allow me to get the filter back on. A couple of well aimed taps and it was easy.

Have fun!

John Bud

35-43507-little_tractor.gif

/ Changed fuel filter - made a mess! #3  
Alan
I'm sure your wife had some kind words about the smell that went into the house from the spill./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif
I sent you a private message on power steering problem. Check it out when you get a chance. I was told that a fix was going to be released last Friday. Still patiently waiting to get mine fixed./w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

18-30594-ronssig2.gif

/ Changed fuel filter - made a mess!
I couldn't tell that there was an "other" position. I'll check that out next time.

Alan L., TX

/ Changed fuel filter - made a mess! #5  
The B7500 doesn't have a valve, so I put a clamp on the inlet. When the fuel filter was unscrewed, it dripped anyway! /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif I had a full fuel tank and discovered that fuel was coming down the breather/overflow. So I put another clamp on that one and no leaks.

The GlueGuy

/ Changed fuel filter - made a mess! #6  
I dripped some but not that much. The cup twists off and not a cup of fuel leaked, but I was smarter than my tractor since I had a bucket in the floor.

Bluegrass, Pick It Up!

/ Changed fuel filter - made a mess!
Yep. I'll use a bucket next time. Ron, I finally got around to checking my private messages and made a reply. Thanks.

Alan L., TX

/ Changed fuel filter - made a mess! #8  
You guys made me curious and it was time to change my fuel filter anyway, so I just did that a few minutes ago. Turned the valve 90 degrees counterclockwise, as the manual shows, and the only thing spilled (into a bucket, of course) was the fuel that was in the filter and housing. I left it awhile to see if anymore would drip out and it didn't. Makes me wonder whether you have a defective valve or whether there might have been some debris or something that kept it from sealing off.

Bird