Oil & Fuel Changed Transmissions oil problem

/ Changed Transmissions oil problem #11  
Hmm.. so you only changed about 4.5 gallons? Something's not right here. It takes something like 24 liters of oil, 20 litres being 5 gallons. Did you remove all 4 of the drain plugs? There are also 2 smaller plugs on the lower part of the rear gear housings, at the lowest point. The manual, little gem that it is, only mentions the 2 extra plugs in the section on changing the hydraulic oil, doesn't mention them in the section on changing the filter.

Sean

/ Changed Transmissions oil problem
I only read that there were 2 unless I looked at the wrong diagram. There was one that faced straight down and one that was lower facing sideways. I'm guessing on how much I took out too. I just emptied it in a bucket until my wife saw the oil in the glass.

/ Changed Transmissions oil problem #13  
I had my wife keep a close eye on the site glass and started draining. There was no way I was going to get that site glass out unless I wanted to pull a bunch of stuff out of the way. After draining 2+ gallons, she could see the oil in the site glass. Success. That what really bothering me. I wonder what would happen if I would have left that much SUDT in there.

Had you left it oil would have puked out the vent. but it might also have blown a seal, not sure but thats possible on other equipment.

/ Changed Transmissions oil problem #14  
I only read that there were 2 unless I looked at the wrong diagram. There was one that faced straight down and one that was lower facing sideways. I'm guessing on how much I took out too. I just emptied it in a bucket until my wife saw the oil in the glass.

Yeah, there's a vertical one on the left side of the driveshaft tube that faces down (or up depending on how you look at it), there's a horizontal one that faces the front of the tractor immediately under where the driveshaft tube comes out of the rear end. And there's two smaller ones on the inside of the lower gear housings on each side. I'm guessing those are the ones you missed (if you did). They put them there because there's no way to get the oil out of that part of the gear case otherwise. Mind you, that's on an L3400, although I think yours is the same.

In the attached picture, the yellow circles show the plugs I'm referring to.

DSC01657.jpg

Sean

/ Changed Transmissions oil problem #15  
Yeah, there's a vertical one on the left side of the driveshaft tube that faces down (or up depending on how you look at it), there's a horizontal one that faces the front of the tractor immediately under where the driveshaft tube comes out of the rear end. And there's two smaller ones on the inside of the lower gear housings on each side. I'm guessing those are the ones you missed (if you did). They put them there because there's no way to get the oil out of that part of the gear case otherwise. Mind you, that's on an L3400, although I think yours is the same.

In the attached picture, the yellow circles show the plugs I'm referring to.

View attachment 310946

Sean

Yep, lots of Kubotas have that arrangement. Not only that, those plugs drain the brake debris and anything that works to the lowest point. Missing those is a big error.

Several models have a screen in the same general area that needs to be removed and cleaned as well.

If it were me, I'd do the whole oil change over again. The filters are probably OK though.

/ Changed Transmissions oil problem #16  
Lzicc, how many hours do you have on the tractor at this point? If it was me and it was close to 400 hours, I'd probably do what gwdixon mentioned and change it again to get the remaining oil and debris (if there is any) out.

Mind you, I'd be swearing the whole time, SUDT isn't cheap! If you're less than 400, I'd probably leave it unless my CDO kicked in. In case you're wondering, I call it CDO because "O" does NOT come before "C" and "D"!

I changed mine after I added the rear remotes at about 100 hours on the clock, to flush any debris that was in the hoses and valve bodies. The tractor was almost 2 years old at the time, one year of which was spent sitting on a dealer's lot. The fluid was amber coloured compared but didn't have a lot of debris in it. Mine is gear drive, not HST so I don't know how the fluid condition would compare.

I haven't changed it since, about 330 hours on it now. Just curious, was there much debris on the hydraulic filter magnet? Mine looked like a scrap metal junkyard, lots of machining chips and metal "fur". I thought I was going to break the filter adapter plate getting the filter off, it was he** for tight!

Sean

/ Changed Transmissions oil problem
Crap. I should have read the book better. I had 375 hours on it when I changed it. This is going to bother me now. I may run it like it is for maybe another 100 hours then change it again.

/ Changed Transmissions oil problem #18  
I would not worry too much. Just leave the cap on and drain about a quart out of each lower plug. That should flush anything that has settled.