Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof.

/ Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof. #1  

GeneV

Elite Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
So, found something interesting today. I changed coolant last year on my GC1710, used this stuff:

PXL_20211104_185931963.jpg

I had no intention of changing coolant this year, not as though the tractor is a daily driver or anything. Anyways, today I stumbled on my el cheapo coolant tester, so since it's in my hand, why not. Tested the coolant and found this:

PXL_20211105_182039875.jpg

I thought maybe there's a problem with the tester, so tested some of this same coolant leftover in the container, and got 3 balls floating from that (safe to -10 deg). So yeh, this is surprising, and looks like I'm changing coolant this year after all.

/ Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof. #3  
Aside from the jug that you showed compared to the fluid is the wrong color, what are you trying to prove/say?

Myself, I am going with whatever you are testing is not the STP Heavy Duty.
Screenshot_20211105-190439_Adobe%20Acrobat.jpg

/ Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof. #4  
I only trust a refractometer anymore,not those hydrometers.
For the Kubota's I mix green coolant 50/50 with distilled water.

/ Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof. #5  
I have two cars here I drug out of the woods. 1964 Ford galaxies. Thunderbird 390 engines. Last drove in 1972. Antifreeze still good in them.

/ Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof. #6  
I switched to pre mixed coolant about 20 years ago, it’s rated for 5 years or 150,000 miles

/ Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof. #7  
Why are you only getting -10 out of 50-50 stuff out of the jug?

/ Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof. #8  
I have found that the new coolant types don't have the same specific gravity of the old antifreezes and therefore doesn't work well with the older testers. Try it with a new tester designed for the newer coolants.

/ Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof.
Aside from the jug that you showed compared to the fluid is the wrong color, what are you trying to prove/say?

Myself, I am going with whatever you are testing is not the STP Heavy Duty.
OMG, you figured it out, my post is a big lie! :rolleyes:

/ Changing coolant yearly or lack thereof.
Why are you only getting -10 out of 50-50 stuff out of the jug?

I have found that the new coolant types don't have the same specific gravity of the old antifreezes and therefore doesn't work well with the older testers. Try it with a new tester designed for the newer coolants.

These are good points, fellas. Maybe it is the tester too, will pick up a new one at TSC today. In any case, looks like a year in the radiator degraded the coolant, which is strange.