Changing engine oil to compensate..

/ Changing engine oil to compensate.. #1  

BTDT

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH M Farmall-propane powered, H Farmall (father-in-laws), Ford 1300 diesel
for lower sulfur fuel. I thought this was an interesting twist, on a 20+ year old tractor no less, that they suggest a different classification oil for the engine rather than suggest a fuel additive.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...042-proper-fluids-capacities-ford-1700-a.html

Sorry I had to post the link, it wouldn't let me copy/paste. Scroll down to the note about the engine oils section. I have a Ford 1300, which I think is basically the same engine, and it recommends the CD classification oil, now I'm wondering if I should switch to the CC oil.

/ Changing engine oil to compensate.. #2  
I think you read it wrong. It reads you MAY use a CC rated oil INSTEAD of a CD oil but you must change the oil at 50 hours instead of 100 hours. So with the CC oil you have to change the oil 2 times as often. With the API CD oil you don't. If your using a diesel fuel with a sulfur content above 1.3% you MUST use a API CD or higher oil.

My personal feeling's on the subject is that I wouldn't use anything less than a API CI-4 as it is the most current for diesel engines that DO NOT have particulate filters. With each improvement in engine oils over the years the standards have increased greatly. A CC oil is no where as good as a CD, a CD is not as good as a CE etc... Don't forget the the CD spec came out way back in 1955, that's quite a antique spec when you consider engine oil improvements over the years.

/ Changing engine oil to compensate..
DieselPower said:
I think you read it wrong. It reads you MAY use a CC rated oil INSTEAD of a CD oil but you must change the oil at 50 hours instead of 100 hours. So with the CC oil you have to change the oil 2 times as often. With the API CD oil you don't. If your using a diesel fuel with a sulfur content above 1.3% you MUST use a API CD or higher oil.

My personal feeling's on the subject is that I wouldn't use anything less than a API CI-4 as it is the most current for diesel engines that DO NOT have particulate filters. With each improvement in engine oils over the years the standards have increased greatly. A CC oil is no where as good as a CD, a CD is not as good as a CE etc... Don't forget the the CD spec came out way back in 1955, that's quite a antique spec when you consider engine oil improvements over the years.

I guess that's what I was thinking but it didn't appear on paper right. And for the fuel additives, this was still fuel with sulfur in it so no additives needed (or that's my take on it).