Changing hydraulic lines on '83 Ford 1700

/ Changing hydraulic lines on '83 Ford 1700 #1  

jpilk99

Gold Member
Tractor
1983 Ford 1700, 4WD, 770 Loader, Woods backhoe, Woods brush hog,etc.
Hi all,

I'm about to replace many of the hydro hoses on my Ford 1700 and, especially on the shorter ones, am noticing that when I try to loosen the securing threads ...the hose resists mightily; getting all coiled and kinked. This may not be that big a deal when taking off the old, as they're going in the trash bin. But when I go to put on the new, ...how do I avoid this situation? The threaded 'male' ends to not "spin freely" on the hose/line.

Thank you,

Jay

/ Changing hydraulic lines on '83 Ford 1700 #2  
Take a close macro pic to see fitting type. Are you holding to other side of the hose fitting with channel locks or adjustable wrenchto avoid spinning of the mating hoses?

/ Changing hydraulic lines on '83 Ford 1700
I figured out that there are "free spinning" ends/connectors (female) that will rotate as I loosen the connections at both ends of the hose(s). Sorry I didn't notice that when I first posted.

Other question: I bought a new 2-spool, 4 valve, control valve that has different size female connector "ports" than the old control valve. New one is a "Magister" ( Magister Hydraulic Directional Control Valve 13 GPM with 2 Spools Monoblock 4-Way Tandem Center: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific ) and it says the ports are SAE-8 SAE-8 and threads are 1/2-20. The hoses are 3/8". So now I'm trying to find 4 connectors to allow the 3/8" hose ends (male) to fit into the SAE-8 1/2-20 females... Not finding alot on the web.

/ Changing hydraulic lines on '83 Ford 1700 #4  
Now I'm confused. Do your hoses have male of female ends? You said one then the other. :unsure:

You can get SAE to NPT adapters at just about any hydraulic shop. Here's a link to Surplus Center for what they have. If you need elbows out of the valve, they're out of the 90 degree but they do have 45 degree. Or use the straight adapters if you can. They're cheap.

/ Changing hydraulic lines on '83 Ford 1700
Now I'm confused. Do your hoses have male of female ends? You said one then the other. :unsure:

You can get SAE to NPT adapters at just about any hydraulic shop. Here's a link to Surplus Center for what they have. If you need elbows out of the valve, they're out of the 90 degree but they do have 45 degree. Or use the straight adapters if you can. They're cheap.
Sorry for any confusion. My hoses have male ends. Obviously, those male ends thread into female ends/connectors. When I posted above about realizing that in the overall connections, that where the hydro hose connects to the ...plumbing of the tractor, there is a female connector that spins freely. So this addressed my initial "issue" of not being able to easily remove the hydro hoses because they were getting all bound/kinked up. (I've solved that part of my issue :) )

Now I just have to be able to find the correct "adapter" to connect the male end of my new hose(s) to the female ports on the new Control Valve. I'll check the link you sent me to the Surplus Center. Thank you.

/ Changing hydraulic lines on '83 Ford 1700 #6  
I looked at your valve link. It seems it could have different SAE sizes for pressure in and tank out so pay particular attention to those. Be sure the adapters have an O-ring on the SAE side. On elbow adapters, the SAE side will also have a washer and nut. This allows you to orient the position/direction of elbow then tighten the nut to lock it in place.

Happy Hosing and Good Luck! (y)