Changing the Backhoe Controls ISO vs SAE

/ Changing the Backhoe Controls ISO vs SAE #1  

Avenger

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS XR4145C
I did a search for this and could not find an answer. So apologies if this has been covered. If so, please point me in the right direction.

Issue: Changing the control pattern on a backhoe.

Details: I recently purchased a Woods BH90-X backhoe for my tractor. I have been using it, but since I am more familiar with one style vs what this has, I am not very good. I am looking for a way to make the controls work the way my brain is wired. I worked in construction running excavators from 2006-2009. I was used to the ISO type where the main boom up/down control is on the right hand. When I was working construction, we referred to this type as "Cat type" vs "John Deere" or "Type 1" vs "Type 2". I learned on Cat, Type 1, ISO and preferred to use that control type. Whenever I jumped into a new or different machine, there always seemed to be a way of changing from SAE to ISO and vise-versa. Sometimes even using the computer to do so, but typically it was a simple valve. Over the years since leaving the heavy equipment world behind, I have rented a few smaller excavators, and never had an issue changing the pattern.

So my brain is wired to use the ISO pattern of Swing + dipper in/out on the left hand. And bucket curl + main boom up/down on the right.

Not SAE (which apparently is more common in the US, didnt know that until I started looking into this. ISO is more common world wide.) which is Swing + Main boom up/down on the left hand. And bucket curl + dipper in/out on the right.

The dipper and boom switch hands.

My Problem: After purchasing the Woods BH90-X (and assuming I could switch the controls like very other backhoe/excavator I have ever used), I found out that the control patter is type SAE with no way to change it. This makes for some interesting maneuvers with the backhoe. Now, I can adapt and get the job done, but I am slow and must think about every move I want to do, vs just doing it like it was an extension of my own arm.

Proposed Solution: Swap the hoses at the controls. Has anyone who has a Woods BH, ever swap the hoses at the controls to make it the ISO pattern? Any issues anyone can think of about doing this? Pressures, flow rates, etc?

I have read through the manual and found nothing on this subject. I have sent an email to Woods asking for help, with no answer. I have not called my dealer, but I am sure he will not be of much help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

/ Changing the Backhoe Controls ISO vs SAE #2  
You can probably swap the hoses. But if one of the controls has a float position you'd now have that on the wrong control. In that case if the valve stack is a modular one you might be able to swap the valves too. The valve stacks I've looked at have all used similar valves but perhaps some do not. If there are flow restrictors they may be in the hoses not the valves.

/ Changing the Backhoe Controls ISO vs SAE #3  
You’ll have to swap the hoses. I’m pretty sure the boom and stick positions are reversed between the 2. You’ll just need to find the valve controlling those 2 functions and swap the hoses on those 2.

/ Changing the Backhoe Controls ISO vs SAE #4  
What Eric said, plus if you're just swapping hoses without moving the whole valve to another position, check if you have any work port relief valve. You need to move it also, along with the hoses.

/ Changing the Backhoe Controls ISO vs SAE #5  
I would call woods and ask tech support. We have switched several machines at work by just swapping hoses. Most will work off of system relief valves but some will have relief valves for certain functions.